Thread: First Pens... How'd I do?

First Pens... How'd I do?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the turning forum but not to the Creek. I usually hang out in the engraving forum but have recently unpacked my delta mini lathe to get back to work.
    I turned about 25 pens for Christmas presents and wanted to get some thoughts on how I did...

I also just ordered a Grizzly GO555 bandsaw as my own Christmas present. I hope to do some resawing to make some cool designs for future pens and I also want to try bowls. I have never tried one of those yet but I will soon...

Material used was Walnut, Maple, Sapple, and Pecan...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Watkins; 12-30-2009 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Forgot wood types
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Picture is very dark,from what i can see your pen's are nice.

Looks pretty good to me! I like the detail lines - adds just a little something extra to the design!

Lots of folks here starting out in turning - so when you have questions be sure to ask!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Your pens look fine but I'm not a fan of larger bodies going down to small center bands. I like bushing to bushing styles myself. As for the new bandsaw, I got the same one about 4 or 5 years ago with the 6" riser blocks and love it. I have had to replace the bearings on the blade guides but that was after a lot of use.

Sid

THanks for the comments guys.

Sid, how did the bandsaw work for resawing? what did you have to do to dial it in and tune it up? I also ordered the 6" riser. Didn't seem smart not to order that too...
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Jim I have resawn a lot with mine but used a 3/4" timberWolf blade. I try to keep a 3/4", 1/2" & 1/4" TimberWolf on hand. I didn't do anything as far as tuning it except the normal checking for square and make sure the blade is running in the center of the wheels. I do use Pam cooking spray on my blade as noted on the TimberWolf site. It makes a big difference.

Sid

Jim

As mentioned the photo is a little too dark to pick up all the details but they do look just fine especially for first ones. I think you will outgrow the wide body on those slimlines and get more traditional straight lines. People prefer that more. They did come out good though. You should save one or two and hold onto them so one day you can look back and compare. I wish I had done that with mine. I was too eager to give them away.

One thought that always goes through my head when I see new turners turning their first pens and that is all start out with the slimlines and I guess because they are inexpensive but they are actually harder to turn than say a one barrel Sierra kit. It is just something that puzzles me I guess and will continue to do so. Make a mistake with a Sierra kit you just chuck one pen tube as opposed to chucking 2 with a slimline.

Anyway good job and don't mind my rambling. Thanks for showing.
    John T.

Congratulations on the pens. A good start on what will probably become a very large collection!

I too am not a huge fan of the wasp-waisted designs. I think a good alternative is the "comfort" pen (search around at Wood-n-Whimsies, Google will get you there -- still unclear on the links in posts rule).

The Comfort pens are pretty much done like a Slimline and use the same Cross style refill. However they are a little bigger bodied and you can either use the center band that comes with or make your own. And the rubber grippy thing is optional, I've made more without it than with. I've done a few Euro style and I still like the Comfort pens a little better. But my favorite one so far has been the Parker Classic (sometimes called a Retro by some of the kit makers). To me, because they are a straight barrel design, the emphasis is on the wood and grain pattern and less on how swoopy you can make a body curve.

That new bandsaw will really help you get the most from your wood when making pen blanks.

And bowls! That will be your downfall, sucking you deep into the vortex! Way freakin' fun. I need to get back to some bowl turning soon.
    Last edited by Rob Young; 12-31-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Good looking pens and you have a great start.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.