Thread: Vacuum Chuck Oooops!

Vacuum Chuck Oooops!

What not to do when turning...
    I was turning a very thin piece of box elder the other day. I had it finished except for the bottom. Once I got the bottom foot down to 1/16-1/32" thickness, the vacuum chuck sucked the bottom right out of the bowl while making a loud pop. Oooops there went the bottom foot! I later dropped it and broke the rim so it definitely wasn't meant to be!

Don't forget to leave a little extra meat when using a strong vacuum!

Yep, Ive done this before. Im looking at a bowl right now that I did last year right after getting my vac system going. Turned the bottom a little thin and it cracked on me. I kept it anyway though!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I know nothing about vacuum chucks, but I wonder if it is possible to put some sort of support under the bowl to prevent this type of collapse? Seems like it could be a problem with anything very thin if the vacuum chuck is pulling a good pressure.

Bottom should always be left a little heavy

When turning bowls or anything, trying to get it thin all over will always create trouble. The bottom of a turning should be left a little thicker for stability as the added weight will do. So leave a little extra in the base and you should not have any more trouble.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Dick - I feel your pain! I have turned thin enough that you can watch the bottom flex away from the gouge when finishing! I backed off the hg, sharpened the gouge and took some really light cuts! Worked for me but remember wondering if I was hallucinating when the bowl was flexing! Vacuum can be a powerful force!

Best of luck on your next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I was just in too much of a hurry and forgot to measure the bottom thickness on the first one. I had a goal of finishing ten bowls that day! Thankfully the other 9 came out fine that day and were delivered to local hospice patients in time for Christmas.

Have a happy New Year!

I feel your pain Dick. When I want to turn them thin I use a donut chuck rather than a vacuum.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.