Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Box on Walnut Stand-- Finished with pics

Maple Box on Walnut Stand-- Finished with pics

I went by the local sawyer a few weeks ago he had some maple that was just out of the kiln.

This box on a stand will be used to store knitting materials. The box is finished with oil and wax and the stand has an oil and WB garnet shellac top coat. The hardware pieces are vintage items I found online.

The top lid section was formed on the table saw. I was experimenting with making asymmetrical moldings by varying the blade and cut angles. The top piece with the pull, was booked matched.

Thanks for looking and comments are always appreciated.

Last edited by William Hutchinson; 12-25-2009 at 4:53 PM.

wow great looking box and stand.great job.merry christmas

Beautiful. What joinery?

I have never seen maple that looks like that before. How did you get the grain to pop with that dark color like that?

Is very nice.

Keith,

The box is "spalted" wood and the black lines and coloration are the result of fungi. The finish on the box is an oil/varnish blend which I used on the stand as well. Behlen teak oil also departs an amber tone as you can see from the rough wood in the first pic.
    Last edited by William Hutchinson; 12-25-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Great job! Kind of a Krenov inspired piece, and I love the Ambrosia maple and walnut together. Very nice!!

Beautiful box! I've been on a box-making binge lately myself and have thought of making one on a stand. I sure hope I can come remotely close to succeeding as well as you did with yours. Great piece.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Well done I hope who ever uses it realizes the amount of work that went into that piece.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
    Well done I hope who ever uses it realizes the amount of work that went into that piece.

John,

Most people don’t know the effort that is required to construct something from rough stock. And few people know it takes me twice as long, because I don’t know exactly what I’m doing. Some of the techniques I used were new, like the lock miter box joints; talk about a setup fiasco. My projects are rolling experiments, sometimes they work and the other times I call them pyro-types.

This box and stand had plenty of experiments and I fooled around with the lid design. I’m not entirely thrilled with the look, but as of yet can’t put my finger on what to alter to make it flow better. From the top view it looks like I made a drawer front and from the side it looks cobbled.

By the way, the recipient just loves it and I’m sure will be treasured. I learned it best not to express my self-doubts and highlight the mistakes to those who I bestow my creations.
    Last edited by William Hutchinson; 12-26-2009 at 6:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hutchinson View Post
    Keith,

The box is "spalted" wood and the black lines and coloration are the result of fungi. The finish on the box is an oil/varnish blend which I used on the stand as well. Behlen teak oil also departs an amber tone as you can see from the rough wood in the first pic.
    I have herd the term "spalted" before but I guess I really never payed much attention to any spalted woods to notice the effect on the grain. Your box looked so nice it prompted me to look up more examples of spalting and now I know there are 3 different types but I wouldn't be able to pick one specific type out of a line up.

Thanks to your work I do know what it is and have an actual interest in it now.

Thanks for posting the picks

Great looking box.
    Putting it on the walnut stand is a nice touch.

A job well done William.

The walnut stand and ambrosia (splated for the sake of Keith who was not familar) maple look quite well together William. You did a nice job of balancing them into a functional piece. I don't dare attempt something of this manner as my wife crochets daily (Ebay store) and it would require a piece the size of a railroad boxcar to hold all the scans of yarn she she she must have on hand at all times. Sounds like one of those I must have this tool deals to me just from a female perspective.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Beautiful piece and well put together indeed! Spalted maple is one of my favorites.

Beautiful piece of work. And as far as not knowing what your doing, youre doing okay! Thats half the fun for me!

Nice Work! That's the best project execution with ambrosia maple that I can recall seeing. Keep it up.
    jack