Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1642 Discontinued?

1642 Discontinued?

The salesman at Woodcraft yesterday said the 2HP Jet 1642 has been discontinued. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? It seems like the 1.5 model would have been dropped, but you never know.

i have my doubts, its one of the best selling lathes.

It's no longer listed on Jet's webpage

I don't know whether it has been discontinued or not. I just checked and the 2hp version is not listed on Jet's webpage.

Update: My bad! as Alex points out below, the 2hp version is still on Jet's webpage. It's on the 2nd of two pages.
    Last edited by David Walser; 12-31-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To provide update.

http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufact...3&category=333

just checked, definitely saw both of them there. both 1 1/2 and 2 hp.

1642 Discontinued?

That is a fact.Jet marketing decided that selling two almost identical lathes when the sales numbers were very low on the 2 hp didn't make sense.I brought mine home yesterday,commited to it in early November and it came in about 2 weeks ago.There supposedly are a few around still.I got a great deal on it through Klingspor of Hickory.
    Greg

Well I've been lusting after this lathe for at least 4 years as an upgrade to the Grizzly I have. This post was enough to send me into a panic and push me over the edge. I just ordered one from Amazon. I can't wait.

I keep hearing rumblings about the 2hp version being dropped but as Alex pointed out - it remains on their website.

Willie - congrats on ordering your Jet! You are going to love the machine! Looking forward to seeing the photos once it arrives!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Perhaps a new and improved machine.
    I say keep the mini and 1642 and dump the 1236 and 1442 which aren't really of the same caliber.
    Powermatic wasn't afraid to get a turner's perspective on the Big boys maybe they are working on an improved version of the 1642.
    I hope so.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    I say keep the mini and 1642 and dump the 1236 and 1442 which aren't really of the same caliber.
    While I do intend to move up the ladder some day, the 1236 has been a great first lathe.

Perhaps the Wilton powers-that-be feel the Jet 1642 2 hp model competes too much with the PM 3520 and the margins on the PM are better?

No telling what the rationale is. Personally I'd like to see them come up with a shorter bed lathe with the 2 HP that is aimed more at bowls while providing a smaller footprint. The 1642 is actually longer than the 3520.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    No telling what the rationale is. Personally I'd like to see them come up with a shorter bed lathe with the 2 HP that is aimed more at bowls while providing a smaller footprint. The 1642 is actually longer than the 3520.
    That is pretty much what the 3520 is ... shorter bed, larger swing.

The 1642-2 is by far the best model in the Jet line, but from a business perspective, it isn't a suprising move. They don't sell many 1642s, and even fewer of the 2HP model. The 1236 and 1442 will sell in much higher volumes. They probably find that most of their high-end market are targeting the 3520 over the 1642-2 anyway. Should make for some good clearance sales if it is true.

I will say the 1642s don't work well after being under 14 ft of dirty, silty, stinky, saltwater. Then sitting for almost a month before anything is done to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobby Perry; 01-03-2010 at 10:23 AM.

I don't think that's says much about the lathe though Bobby...

Says tons about beach front property though....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    That is pretty much what the 3520 is ... shorter bed, larger swing.

The 1642-2 is by far the best model in the Jet line, but from a business perspective, it isn't a suprising move. They don't sell many 1642s, and even fewer of the 2HP model. The 1236 and 1442 will sell in much higher volumes. They probably find that most of their high-end market are targeting the 3520 over the 1642-2 anyway. Should make for some good clearance sales if it is true.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the length of the DVR. The 3520 is only about 6" shorter than the 1642. I just never saw the point in the two models of the 1642 (other than having a 110 machine available).