Thread: Shop floor/2x4's and insulation

Shop floor/2x4's and insulation

I am trying to decide between Dricore and a 2x4 sleepers with rigid insulation and plywood as a shop floor. For those that have done the 2x4 method, tell me how you did it. I have heard some people just lay the 2x4's down on a vapor barrier and do not screw or nail the sleepers in place, others do. Any advice appreciated. I have a free standing garage shop and insulation is important to me. This is one reason I may not do the Dricore product. Also, any particular rigid insulation used?

My shop space is in a small third bay of my garage (10'x18'). I put down a heavy vapor barrier and then screwed the sleepers together 16" on center. I warped the vapor barrier over the outside edge and secured it with some staples. I then put the t&g plywood down and secured it to the sleepers. I did not screw or nail it to the concrete and have had it in place now for a little over two years with no issues. I love it and roll my cabinet saw, jointer/planer and other tools all over it on mobile bases without issue. I did not insulate it though my walls, door and ceiling are insulated (it did not make since to me since the bays next to it are open for the cars).

-Gary

Joe, check out this option...better alternative than either of your current ideas IMO http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128924

I spread out 1 1/2-2" of pea-stone. Then laid 2x4's on the flat-1' on center- on top of the pea-stone. Then filled in between the 2x4's with more pea-stone. Laid a vapor barrier over that with 3/4" plywood on top. VERY solid floor that is GREAT on the feet!