Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bang for the buck?

Bonnie, if you know someone who is an AAW member then ask them if you can look at the latest AAW magazine. It has all the big boys in there with all the specs. For me, I ended up with the PM3520B. Does everything that I will ever want from a lathe. But you certainly can't go wrong, as far as performance, with any of the big boys/girls, mentioned in the other posts.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Bonnie,
    I had a PM3520A for 8 years before stepping up to a Robust American Beauty. I do consider the PM to be the best all round lathe and deal for the money. The primary thing it didn't have was a longer bed, but bed extensions can be purchased. I prefer the sliding headstock (so no Oneway, or Serious lathes) as my lathe sits in a corner, and outboard turning is not possible, unless I win the lotto, and build my dream shop with about 10,000 sq. ft. I went with the Robust for a couple of reasons. One is made in the USA. Two is the sliding headstock. Three was the 3 hp motor. Stainless steel ways didn't make any difference as I turn green wood, and the ways of my PM were a nice black walnut color. For bowls, I seldom make any beyond 16 inches as those are more for parties rather than every day use, so any 16 inch lathe could work. I would recommend 2 hp minimum for serious bowl turning.

Where in Oregon are you going to end up. I am in Eugene, and can help you with coring, and my shop is almost always open.

robo hippy

No one has yet suggested the one I have, which is the Vicmarc VL300 Long Bed with the ourboard turning attachment. It is the only lathe I own, and it will do anything that I have thought of thus far, from pens to long spindles to large bowls. The bed lets you use coring or hollowing tools easily, and hollowing from the outboard side really saves your back.

If you ever trravel to the Atlanta area, you are welcome to visit and give it a try. Or, if you have any questions about it just let me know.

Best bang for the buck is right here

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post

What I'd like to know is, what is the best lathe for the dollars? THE lathe.

Opinions will vary, I'm open to that. Having a starting point to begin comparing will be a big help.

Thanks!
    Best bang for the buck with many happy turners, you will have to get it across the border though

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128

BusyBee CT128.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Harvey just described MY "Golden Setup!"
    I already have the PM3520. I'm trying to wrangle the Delta 46/460 now. It's portable and I'm thinking about the indexing feature, the only thing I don't have on my PM...
    If money isn't an issue, this combination does about as much as almost anyone could want. (IMHO2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    Well, as they say, there is one in every crowd, so here goes--I would recommend not one but two lathes. The PM3520b and the new Delta Midi. You have been told about the PM but probably not the Midi. It is vs, extendable and goes fron 225 rpm up to 4000 on a 3 wheel pully.Your stated range is from big bowls down to game calls and pens.Say you are working on a bowl, and you have to turn a pen. Simply go to the midi without disturbing the bowl setup. When I am at one my back is facing the other, with the sharpening setup at one end and the turning tools are at the other. One set of tools, one sharpening setup.I believe the PM will handle the big stuff and the Midi will handle the other.You still dont have a super big investment. And, oh, yes, if you want to do a demo somewhere else, the midi can be used, albeit a little on the heavy side.About 30 lbs. more than the Jet Mini. There you have it, my $ .02 cents worth. Max
    Change One Thing

Bonnie,
    I had a Oneway 1640, 2hp, for about four years and then “downsized” to a Jet 1642, 1.5hp, a year or so ago. Although both have very similar specs, I would beg to differ with other posters that the difference you pay is mainly for fit and finish. I think only you can decide whether the improvements justify the difference in price.

Some examples of the Oneway improvements.

1.The quality of construction is heavier duty. The spindle appeared to be forged and the threads had a flat profile, which reduced the chance of cross-threading. The spindle material on the Jet is softer and the threads have a very sharp cut to them. On the Oneway, I frequently threaded faceplates and chucks with the spindle turning. Alternatively, I have to carefully hand thread things on the Jet (while stopped) to prevent cross-threading.

2.All locking levers on the Oneway had attractive brass handles. However, more importantly they were designed to lock with very low handle effort, which never came loose even under extreme hammering (roughing unbalanced blanks, deep hollowing, etc.). The Jet uses a traditional screw type lever, which requires more effort and can loosen when hammered.

3.The Oneway castings are thicker and heavier. For example, moving the tool rest base from the end of the bed to the headstock on the Oneway was quiet and smooth. Doing the same with the Jet usually results in a sound like dragging your nails across a chalkboard. Apparently, the thinner, lighter casing of the Jet vibrates just enough to create the squeal. I believe that the heavier castings of the Oneway will absorb more vibration and be more secure.

Generally, I found the Oneway’s quality of construction and design geared more toward a production turner, which I am not. When I considered the money that was tied up in un-utilized capacity in the Oneway (had a guy wanting to pay me what I paid four years earlier), I decided to go with the Jet.

The Jet really suits my desire to turn smaller boxes and hollow forms. The $2K difference allowed me to buy other toys.

Bonnie, I don't know how old you are. (Notice I wouldn't ask a lady?) When you're as old as I am, 88, then the "last lathe" might apply. I'm on my 9th lathe since I started turning in 1936. The last 3 have been top of the line "last lathes" when I bought them. New and better features are coming out all of the time.

As others have said, if price isn't an issue, there are some very fine top of the line lathes to be had. Each has features that the others don't. The question "what kind of turning will you be doing" is really a question that none of can really answer. The things that I turn now are nothing like the things that I mainly turned 10 or 15 years ago. Robust, Oneway, Stubby, PM are excellent all around lathes. The VB is more of a bowl and HF lathe.

It's a tough choice to make, but an exciting one for someone that has had only smaller and less quality lathes.

Good hunting,

Wally

Well said, Phillip.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I really appreciate everyones info they're giving! I've been slowly finding the lathes online and looking at my options. Does anyone know if there is some place in Portland OR to check out the different lathes? I know it'd be foolish to buy any lathe without seeing it DAMHIKT I'm assuming if I buy once I get to Oregon I can get by without paying sales tax too.

I might be able to get by with a smaller lathe. But, like I hear, you can turn a small item on a big lathe, but not big on small. So I'd like to cover my bases

Well, fingers are crossed here! Just signed a contract for sale on property today.....

I'll eventually be moving to the area around Clatskanie OR. Few people know it, so figure midway between Portland and Astoria lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    I really appreciate everyones info they're giving! I've been slowly finding the lathes online and looking at my options. Does anyone know if there is some place in Portland OR to check out the different lathes? I know it'd be foolish to buy any lathe without seeing it DAMHIKT I'm assuming if I buy once I get to Oregon I can get by without paying sales tax too.

I might be able to get by with a smaller lathe. But, like I hear, you can turn a small item on a big lathe, but not big on small. So I'd like to cover my bases

Well, fingers are crossed here! Just signed a contract for sale on property today.....

I'll eventually be moving to the area around Clatskanie OR. Few people know it, so figure midway between Portland and Astoria lol
    Woodcrafters, at I think 6th NE and Davis, has some of them. There are 2 large clubs in Portland. lots of members to help. Call Dale Larson in Gresham. He's been around the Portland turning scene for a long time. He's one of our latest AAW board members and is a nice guy.

Wally

Thanks Wally! I wrote that information on my list of things to do.

Bonnie, I had a wild thought..... Call craft supplies and take a weekend class with them and try all the lathes they have. I believe they have most of the big names-just a thought?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Bonnie,

I agree that 2 lathes make a lot of sense. I bought the Powermatic 3520B after having a Jet 1014vs and find that the Jet still gets some use. The Jet mini is useful for pens, small bowls, sanding. and buffing, and taking to demos/classes. I really like to use the buffing wheels on the Powermatic for the clearance and use the bowl buffs (for interior) on the Jet to save changes during buffing. I do not have a tailstock swing now that they are available for 3520B, but that addition would be something to consider for a better lathe arrangement. The 3520B is quite a lathe and massive enough for some fairly large unbalanced material.

One other to look at would be the Stuby if space is a consideration. It has a different footprint from others and some other unique features, but also more cost.

I would suggest you take a week long class at
    http://arrowmont.org/2010workshop-preview.html (Details has not yet published)
    They have Oneway, Vicmarc, Stubby, Powermatic and General lathes. All well maintained and in top shape. With a whole week day and night practice session, you will have plenty of chance testing out each lathe. Turning class with great food, you will enjoy it. Having hands on experience on each lathe is just gravy.
    Gordon

Man, I can't even contemplate the machines you're all talking about