Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help keep Norm & NYW on the air

Please help keep Norm & NYW on the air

The New Yankee Workshop website is airing the first episode of the NYW on a trial basis to evaluate if there is enough interest to keep airing old episodes. I am including a link to leave a comment in support of this. Hopefully we can help keep the NYW broadcasting in one fashion or another. I know some don't care for Norm, but countless woodworkers decided to start into the craft because of his strait forward approach to building projects, myself included. Keeping the show going will hopefully give a new generation the confidence to start woodworking.

http://www.newyankee.com/fanmail/mail_submit.php
    http://www.newyankee.com/online.php

Thanks Loren

Blog Entries
    Loren, I have already done so and am proud to do such a thing. You are correct, a very many woodworkers got their inspiration for the craft by first watching Norm and saying.......hey, I might be able to do that.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

done! Hopefully they will keep them going.

I just learned about the online vidoes and watched the first one yesterday. What a change Norm has gone through! I didn't email though so i just followed your link to do so Loren. Excellent post. I hope they keep the NYW online videos goin' for a long time. I watched Norm as a kid long before I turned on a tool. Now that I'm finally devoting some time and effort to the woodworkng craft, I'm sad to see his show go off the air. It is nice that they are continuing to service their fans through the website. I have a lot of episodes to go before I've seen them all.

Favorite NYW episode so far: The Roll Top Desk - Item 9812

Done. Great idea and thanks for the post.

Done.

Norm not only builds neat projects but has probably sparked tons of power tool sales from his " and we'll make that cut on my super widget 5000" I love him, my wife probably hates him

It's all about the buck today. PBS get more viewers from a garden show or a cooking show that it does from woodworkers. More viewers means more donations so they go where they get more return on their investment. Sad for us but true.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Norm has my support!

I sent an email to NYW... made a suggestion to have Norm's shows available as a digital download as an option... and maybe for a fee a few dollars less than his DVD's...

9. What a slick way to develop a current mailing list that targets only potential customers.

Yes, it has my name on it!

Loren, I'm not a big Norm fan, however I do enjoy watching him and appreciate his efforts at promoting this hobby.

I went to the website you linked and left comments requesting that other episodes be made available.

I also phoned WNED in Buffalo (I'm a donor) and TVO (TV Ontario) another public broadcaster that I donate to, requesting more wood working shows.

I only hope they don't get the one with those three guys who were showing you how a table saw works. I'd like to see something more advanced, or just bring back Roy Underhill.

Thanks for starting this process.............Regards, Rod.

Another who added the request to keep broadcasting and for a DVD with multiple episodes.

12. I just left a message at the NYW site encouraging the continuation of posting the old episodes. Hopefully, the apparent decline in woodworking interest is temporary.

I wrote a note to encourage more.

And Norm actually replied instantly to my email!

"Thanks, and as always, work safely.
    Norm"

What a man...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    I wrote a note to encourage more.

And Norm actually replied instantly to my email!

"Thanks, and as always, work safely.
    Norm"

What a man...
    Hey, that's the same thing he told me!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I only hope they don't get the one with those three guys who were showing you how a table saw works. I'd like to see something more advanced, or just bring back Roy Underhill.
    Rod,
    Do you get the additional digital channels from WNED? If you do, then you can see Roy. He is on the Think Bright channel at least a couple times a week.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.