Thread: My entries for AAW "Maple Medley: AN Acer Showcase"

My entries for AAW "Maple Medley: AN Acer Showcase"

These are my entries for tha above named exhibition. These 3 turnings are awaiting better names. If you have any ideas contact me, PLEASE! The blue one will probably go back on the lathe for a slight design modification.

Data: (all are from Big Leaf Maple Burl, Acer Macropyllum
    Natural ... 19 inches by 3 5/8 inches, oil finish.

RedMaple ... 17 inches by 2 5/8 inches, dyed and finished wiyh Krylon Glaze

BlueMaple ... 9 inches by 7/8 nches, dyed and finished with Krylon Glaze

Comments and Critiques always appreciated!
    Dick Gerard
    AAW #00013
    "Close Enough Isn't; Good Enough Isn't; It's Only Wood!"

Nice work!

Thumbs up

that first natural bowl looks outstanding!

Not a huge fan of the dyed look but they appear well done.

Very cool trio. Somewhat reminiscent of a turning I think I saw in a Jimmy Clewes DVD. The wood is really nice, and all three have nice pleasing forms.

Not sure about names, but the shape reminds me a little of a magnified view of a platelet(the part of your blood responsible for clotting).

Really nice looking bowls. I really like the second one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They look good from here Dick. Could you show us profile and bottom pictures?
    Richard in Wimberley

They are all beautiful Dick, although I am drawn the the natural one.

As for a name, how about "Out of This World", because they kind of remind be of flying saucers.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Nice trio

I believe the first one I would call the "Wave" as the figure looks like a wave rolling into the bowl. The second one I am not sure of, and the last one looks like storm clouds at midnight. The figure in big leaf maple is some of the best! Good luck with the show.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I go with the majority on this one! The natural finish has the most pleasing shape, the better finish, and some very nice figure. The other two are nicely done, but IMO the dye doesn't add anything.

On names, the first one reminds me of the color of honey and the shape created when a drop of water hits a water surface - or, an impact crater where a meteor has struck. So, perhaps Honey Splash?? Honey Ripple?

Here are photos of the bottoms ...

Last edited by Dick Gerard; 01-08-2010 at 9:51 AM. Reason: adding images
    Dick Gerard
    AAW #00013
    "Close Enough Isn't; Good Enough Isn't; It's Only Wood!"

Dick, the pics of the bottoms further reinforces my thoughts on the natural one. Gorgeous wood!

Very nice bowls Dick! Best of luck with the contest!

I seem to be with everyone else on this one and find the natural bowl to be the most pleasing - mostly because of the grain and the natural color. Seems like the curl really stands out - more so than on the dyed bowls.

For names - a further extension of Jeff's water analogy - the natural bowl reminds me of a 'waterfall' and that's what I would name it. The blue maple reminds me of a 'night sky'. I am at a loss for a name for the red bowl.

Best of luck to you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice bowls, I like them all. I will jump in with a name for the red one, I would call it Lava.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.