Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens when a bandsaw blade snaps?

What happens when a bandsaw blade snaps?

So, the other day when I was working on the bandsaw. I got to thinking, what would happen if the blade for some reason should snap? Where would it go? Could I get hurt? So, what does happen? I usually use a 1/2" blade on a 14" saw, if that makes a difference.

I could be wrong but I would think not a whole lot would happen...the blade doesnt' have a lot of mass....it immediately loses it source of drive....

There might be a lot of possibilities but most are not very probable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What happens when a bandsaw blade snaps?

Some racket and no cutting. It's really anticlimactic.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    +1 on pretty boring. I suppose one could have visions of the blade snaking out of the housing like some demonic beast on a rampage . . . nah.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We break one every couple of weeks at school. Usually it's kind of noisy, sometimes the saw just quits working. Totally not a big deal. I can change a blade on a PM 141 in about 3 minutes now.

The "ting" is the worst part and then just downhill from there. Now, I suppose there is that one in a million shot where it comes flying out like a spider monkey jacked up on Mt. Dew but I wouldn't loose sleep about it. After the first time it happened to me the wheels were barely finished spinning down when I was already looking for the weld and hoping it broke there (free replacement).

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ...comes flying out like a spider monkey jacked up on Mt. Dew...
    ROFLMAO

nice imagery.
    >witty woodworking quote goes here<

Never broken a blade on my wood cutter. Snapped one on the metal cutter a few days ago. Just a moderately loud "pop", and it was all over.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I usually just change my shorts, replace the blade, and go right back at it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I don't think any trade is harder on a bandsaw than the meat industry, and after 30+ years in the business, the number of bands that have snapped in my presence must be in the hundreds. I've heard all the stories about some guy's cousin, who knew a guy that had one snap and jump out the upper door and amputate his face , but I've never witnessed it. They just lay there, and I've not seen one do otherwise. I'm not going to claim that it couldn't happen, but so far, it hasn't. Once the band snaps, there is no longer any tension with which to drive it.

The only time I've seen it do something exciting is when I'm setup for resawing large piece. With 12" of exposed blade, if it snaps right there, the blade can be somewhat unpredictable, and I had it come out a bit. You may think a bandsaw blade doesn't have much inertia, but believe be a 1" resaw blade can be quite energetic. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have my hands near there at the time. Now I'm just a bit more aware of where my hands are when I'm resawing. Also, there's at least one creeker that posted about have a blade go on him, and meandering through his work and inch or two before stopping, i.e. you may want to have a reasonable bit of clearance between the blade and your fingers.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-11-2010 at 8:20 AM.

In my experience, the smaller blades just go 'pop' and stay in place. But the 1/2" and up tend to come out like a snake and lie on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Also, there's at least one creeker that posted about have a blade go on him, and meandering through his work and inch or two before stopping, i.e. you may want to have a reasonable bit of clearance between the blade and your fingers.
    I have a hard time buying that since there is so little mass in a bandsaw blade and the minute it snaps, it's drive source is removed.

Possible ??????????? Highly improbable IMHO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yeah, Joe and I are foot soldiers in the global bandsaw breakage misinformation conspiracy. Why would anyone make this up? Large blades are moving fast and have plenty of energy behind them. Anyone who's ever changed a larger band saw blade knows how quicky these thing cut, even after only falling an inch or two under their own weight.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have broken many blades of different sizes over the years working in machine shops, I have never had one snake out. I would just hear a loud pop & clunk and shut the machine down.
    Is it possible? Anything is possible.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino