Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plane Till Question

The angle on the tilted top section of mine was determined the same way most of the other folks' was done, using the required depth of the whole assembly.

Chris, Having been in Garrett's shop many times over the years I can assure you that his wall rack for planes and the cabinet he uses to store others are very securely anchored to the brick walls of the building. There is no danger to any of his tools.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    The angle on the tilted top section of mine was determined the same way most of the other folks' was done, using the required depth of the whole assembly.

Chris, Having been in Garrett's shop many times over the years I can assure you that his wall rack for planes and the cabinet he uses to store others are very securely anchored to the brick walls of the building. There is no danger to any of his tools.

Is that his real shop and till on the cover of FW Tools&Shops ?

Hi Chris,

I don't subscribe to FW anymore, but his shop is a brick Federal period build he built himself from bricks salvaged locally. It is the only shop he's had for about 14 years now. As for his handplanes, some are wall mounted, some are in a wall mounted box with door, and almost all of his wooden molding planes are in about a dozen large pull out drawers along the back wall of the shop. I would not even venture to guess how many planes he has in total, in fact I doubt if even he knows.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave's Till

Dave,

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever provide creekers with dimensions or plans for the wonderful till you made several years ago? I liked your combination of green paint and stained wood.

While tills seem fairly individualistic according to ones inventory/collection, this thread is helpful for those of us who want to eventually build one. Thanks to you all I am getting closer to building one myself.

Jim

My Try at It

Wrestling with tilt question also. Keep coming up with 10 degrees as a number; no real reason why. If the till ends up tilted it will probably be back to back with a saw till which is presently on a wall. Both tills to be then mounted on a rolling table. This idea was posted here some time ago
    and looked like a good practical solution. I am pushed toward a table by fact that now that the plane till is reasonably close to completion, repeated attempts to find wall space for it are not working out.
    So far I am using "shoes" to hold the toes and heels of planes and modified French cleats for smaller/block planes. Trying to work out if they (shoes) should fastened to the shelves or not. If the tilt thing comes into play the issue will be forced in favor of tying the shoes down. Oh yeah, already too small.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Hutchison; 01-13-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Nascent Old-Timer's Disease

I made mine with a slight tilt. I didn't measure the angle but I'd guess it's around 6 - 8 degrees. The planes will sit on it just held by gravity, but I put the whole thing on casters and I was concerned that the jostling might cause them to fall so I made cleats for the heels and toes.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Jim,

I'll try to see if I saved the plans for the till. I rememer drawing them, but I'm not sure I bothered to save them since I figured it was something I'd only need to build once. I'll check tonight when I'm at home. I'f I don't have the plans, I'll at least throw a tape on it and post a few measurements.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

How about flat?

My cabinet holds my planes and most my saws flat. It's easy to grab any tool and use it quickly. My saws have different woods for the handles to indicate rip vs x-cut. Plenty of room to grow too. Will be adding doors soon to hold layout tools, chisels, etc. Bottom cabinet will be getting some draws for more storage. (Yea, I'm a tool nut.)

Eric

Tool Cabinet.jpg

Plane Till question

Hi Jim,

I used rare earth magnets from Lee Valley recessed into the back of the cabinet to locate and hold the planes in position. I made a 1/2" deep 2" wide channel that allows the planes to sit about 1 1/2" to 2" off the vertical. It is enough to keep them from falling out. This is for the bottom shelf there is a #1, 1.5,2,3,4,4.5,5,51/4,51/2,6,7,71/2,8 bench planes. I was originally going to have dividers between the planes to keep them from banging into each other but with the use of the magnets and the lack of room for dividers I was forced to go without. Haven't had any problems but I exercise some care in accessing them.

On the top right shelf I have the smaller block planes recessed into their own compartments so they won't fall out. The number 9 in the next shelf is on a 30 degree platform with a base that holds it in place with the two dowell plates on each side.

The shelf with the chisels have them inserted into their own slots in a large block of alder. I have rearranged this now because I ran out of room with the purchase of the newer LN chisels (fishtail & skew) I am
    waiting until I make the doors with a 4" recess for more tools that will hold the remaining chisels.

I used turnstiles for the back saws and haven't lost any of them yet.

Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, Ca.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    This is for the bottom shelf there is a #1,1.5,2,3,4,4.5,5,51/4,51/2,6,7,71/2,8 bench planes.
    Wow, and I thought I had a lot of bench planes.

Nice cabinet by the way.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Yes, my wife says I have a "problem" . Not sure what she means but
    I am on a first name basis with Deneb at LN. So far what I don't have is
    their panel saw and the new "match" plane for t/g. There is an upcoming
    hand tool even coming to our area in Oakland Feb 5&6th. maybe I'll correct the situation at the show.

take care,
    Rye Crane

given that you, like me, live in shaky country, I suggest you favor more tilt rather than less, and consider methods to keep the planes onboard if the earth starts moving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye Crane View Post
    Jim,

Yes, my wife says I have a "problem" . Not sure what she means but
    I am on a first name basis with Deneb at LN. So far what I don't have is
    their panel saw and the new "match" plane for t/g. There is an upcoming
    hand tool even coming to our area in Oakland Feb 5&6th. maybe I'll correct the situation at the show.

take care,
    Rye Crane
    I enjoyed the show at the Crucible when I lived in the bay area. It is not too far from the BART station if you do not want to drive all the way in.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Eric, you have a nice cabinet to be, I realy like the layout for the plane and the saws. I could see a sharpening station incorporated to it!

Bill,

I used rare earth magnets imbedded into the rear of the cabinet. One to a plane. Even the #8 has no problems staying put. Those magnets are
    very strong and it takes a little pull to get the plane to disengage. The magnets even exert a small pull on the bronze planes, enough to keep them put.

Rye Crane