Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello and some questions concerning Laser, wood and china cheapness....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    I would think the CNC would do cross hatch much better than a laser.
    What he said: you can do checkering on a laser (DAMHIKT), but it's a kludge...and it shows in the results.

If I was looking to get into the pistol grip business, I'd be down at the Rockler dealer tomorrow ordering up the Shark CNC. It's designed for woodworking from the get-go, and you can put any kind of high-speed router into it that you want. A bit more than $1500, but way less than you'd actually spend getting set up with a decent dependable laser.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

You can do what you want with a laser but within the limits of focus. A longer lens will be more forgiving. You can develop 3d drawings in Corel and if the drawing is good quality the engraving should be as well.

If I were considering this I'd find an engraver to work with for a while until the practicality of it can be determined.

I would not risk the $1500 machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

$1170 shipped 50 watt laser

With the machine there will be 1.the video on install the machine 2. newlydraw software install video, the newlydraw video has documents on how to operate the software.

Working Size: 400mm*400mm
    Laser Power: 40W
    Laser Tube: Co2 sealed glass laser tube
    Engraving Speed: 1-60000mm/min
    Cutting Speed: 1-10000mm/min
    Cooling system: water-cooling and protection system
    Location precision: <0.01mm
    Resolution ratio: 0.025mm
    Minimum shaping character: Letters 1 x 1mm
    Support Format: DSP, PLT, BMP, DXF

Interface: USB
    Operating temperature: 5-40°C Operating humidity: 5%-95% free of condensed water

What do you guys think about this one?

Blog Entries
    We all think the same about this unit as we do all Chinese lasers of the same general design. Some like it, some don't. Look at prior threads to see the pros/cons of Chinese units and apply the comments to this machine, but there really is little difference.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

5. Buy it and let us know how it goes. You will not find a quality American made laser for that price.

I am doing my research on it.

Quote Originally Posted by todd mckechnie View Post
    . . .What do you guys think about this one? . . .
    Todd
    1. It is inexpensive.
    2. If you want to use it for the parts you showed us, you will probably be disappointed.
    3. It might be fun to experiment with it to see what it can do - assuming you have the time and money for the experiment.

I like the "amperometer".

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Blog Entries
    That, and the "End Switch"... flip that and it could be the end of the world.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    I like the "amperometer".

Mark
    Ha! Waldo is in one of the pictures too!! can you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    It might be fun to experiment with it to see what it can do - assuming you have the time and money for the experiment.
    That kind of sums up my gut reaction to the phrase "$1500 laser".
    Cool toy to play with, yes. Tool to run a business with, no.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That kind of sums up my gut reaction to the phrase "$1500 laser".
    Cool toy to play with, yes. Tool to run a business with, no.
    I understand, but I guess in one sense, maybe my question wasn't as clear, would this at least get my feet wet and do the parts for me in decent fashion.

Say I make 50 sets of these grips in a year ( for checkering or custom designs ) as a trial. I would like to think I could spend $1500 to learn how to work with a laser, get first hand experience and then if things are feasible and it looks to be prosperous, then pick up a better machine.

I like the Epilog website and I understand customer service , software and machine are all good. But I just cant afford to jump in that deep yet. I ve lost $1500 in stupid deals in the past, so while its alot of money, if it gives me experience and knowledge, then it may very well be worth $1500. And I am hoping if I choose to go this route that I will learn have a better idea of what I am looking for in the future.

I built my last small cnc machine just to cut these grips. I spent a small amount of money, but in the speed and accuracy of the machine are awesome. I like it. Its not a $500,000 HAAS, I understand that, but it works as good as any machine I ve worked with in the past for what I need it to do. I am just thinking the same thing with this little laser. Heck I almost thought of building one, but I just dont have time to do a learning curve like that.

I would love to have the machine hooked with Mach 3 and I see people offering breakout boards for that. But again I dont have time to mess with things like that right now.

We'll see, maybe I ll be the guinea pig for you guys and get this setup and then hook a Mach3 setup into it and see what happens then......

13. Quote Originally Posted by todd mckechnie View Post
    I understand, but I guess in one sense, maybe my question wasn't as clear, would this at least get my feet wet and do the parts for me in decent fashion.

Say I make 50 sets of these grips in a year ( for checkering or custom designs ) as a trial. I would like to think I could spend $1500 to learn how to work with a laser, get first hand experience and then if things are feasible and it looks to be prosperous, then pick up a better machine.

I say go for it, I have never owned one but I have seen one in person and to be honest the laser did a darn good job.
    Buy an Epilog whenever you have enough money

I agree with Lee and would go with a small CNC like the Shark. You won't be happy with a laser. Plus you'll have to deal with char. Plus you'll have to deal with registration. Plus you'll have to deal with different settings per type of wood. plus, plus, plus...

If the grips are made in small quantities just for you, I'd guess they are machined on a CNC. Why not work with whoever is machining them and have them apply the patterns?
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I agree with Lee and would go with a small CNC like the Shark. You won't be happy with a laser. Plus you'll have to deal with char. Plus you'll have to deal with registration. Plus you'll have to deal with different settings per type of wood. plus, plus, plus...

If the grips are made in small quantities just for you, I'd guess they are machined on a CNC. Why not work with whoever is machining them and have them apply the patterns?
    I machine them myself on my own equipment. I just know that machining fine detail on them like I would like to try in some designs just wont happen with a cutter that will resemble any kind of speed. I thought the laser would be faster and more precise in some respects.