Thread: An Ode' to OSB

An Ode' to OSB

Once upon a time we built a pole barn in which to store “stuff”. We actually built it before we built a house because the house was going to have a lot of housestuff that would need to be put somewhere before it actually went into the house.

The pole barn was built at 8300’ about 20 miles WSW of Pikes Peak on a 35 acre parcel in Colorado, so it good pretty cold inside during the winter and real hot during the rest of year when the sun would shine (most of the time).

So we insulated. I had the insulation made in blankets to match the 6’ bay widths by an insulation company in Denver. Although it was fairly easy to install with glue/nail on insulation spike, there are still blood signatures where we forgot a spike location when pushing the insulation on. Sometimes, you have to put a little of yourself into your work.

It next turned in to a finishing palace for the trim and doors going into the house build. Yes, we finally got around to building a place to live. We had our priorities right, or at least I put together a somewhat reasonable story for “she who controls the checkbook” on why this makes sense…at least in my universe.

It has also been the site of one of the best parties, ever (http://patcaulfield.blogspot.com/2009/08/25th-anniversary-party-after-action.html).

It’s not a showplace, but it is a good place to hang out. In fact my wife calls it “Pat’s Place for Putzing Around”, when talking to her pals. For those of you familiar with the “Garage Logic” philosophy espoused by Joe Soucheray on AM 1500 in the Twin Cites, it will seem very recognizable.

It has become a pretty general purpose workshop. I use OSB to line it for a few reasons;
    • I generally hang things in the wrong place the first time, so I didn’t want to be repairing holes all the time,
    • I once saw a REI store finished in stained OSB that looked great.
    • And oh ya, I bought the needed 100 sheets off of Craigslist for $3 a board.
    We think it turned out OK, (http://patcaulfield.blogspot.com/2010/01/shop-that-osb-built-at-least-on-inside.html)

The one thing I don’t have is a reading room. I hope to remedy that this summer with the acquisition of an old phone booth, into which will go a chemical stool and a custom made paper and sanitizer holder. ( http://picasaweb.google.com/PTCaulfi...93391228252322 ).

Pat Caulfield
    http://patcaulfield.blogspot.com/

That's a pretty extensive use of OSB! I like how you covered the seams in the ceiling. Am I imagining things, or is one of the shelf units in the shop made from OSB too?

It's also a way cool shop, the propellor is a nice touch. The views from your property are incredible; are there any adverse health affects from living at that elevation?

In the Cripple Creek area? What an awesome shop. My wife and I almost bought a place in CCME a couple of years ago. Love that area.

I used OSB for my walls, too, for the same reason. Not the ceiling, shelves, light trim, etc, etc, though... Looks great. And roomy too. Nice shop.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Doesn't anyone put girly calendars on their walls any more. My wife won't let me but I sure wish some of you would. Nice looking shop anyway!
    The Plane Anarchist

Howdy Pat ....... from a fellow GL'er since day 1. Of course growing up with the ol' guy as a neighbor obligated me too.

Do I get a drop in invite when I'm in area to check it out?
    Sounds cool

It is an OSB shelf, only about 20 inches long with a cleat and the back and front. Won't be used for anything too heavy.

No adverse issues, other then the sunsceens goes right away in the morning, every morning.
    Pat

We are about 20 miles southwest of Cripple Creek.
    Pat

You bet. Actually saw a pickup heading north on Colorado 9 with a GL sticker in the window...it had Colorado Plates. Before I got an XM radio, KSTP was the only station I could pickup (late at night) and could listen to the re-runs of the program.

How can get on the internet.

Pat

Manufacturers seems very PC these days, where would you get one?
    Pat

Leigh:
    If you get a chance take a look at whats in David Thiels (Popular Woodworking) woodshop walls in his book "Woodshop Lust".
    Pat

Matt Schnurbusch Guest
    If you go through sunscreen the way I do (melanoma sucks), take a look for Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. The sell in bulk and it does a great job.

13. Very nice - so now how about those seals on the sliding doors. I need to something to seal my 12' sliding doors. Could you share your approach?

Thanks

Pat,

I usually hangout in the turners forum but occasionally like to look here to see what folks are doing with there shops. Your post caught my attention, I plan to finish the interior of my garage in the next few weeks and I plan to use OSB well. I was just curious as to how big your shop is and how many light fixtures you have. I thought I would paint the ceilings white and the walls off white just to brighten it up a little more. After looking at yours I think I like the looks of unpainted OSB better. I was just wondering if you were satisfied with what you have or do you think a lighter color would make a difference.

TIA

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.