Thread: looking for extra long heavy duty scrapers

looking for extra long heavy duty scrapers

After my accident, I wont be turning any bowls or large pieces for a LONG time until I can build strength in my fingers again. I'm thinking some boxes would be a good very low hand-torque alternative to the 12-15" deep natural edge pieces that I like to turn.

I could swear that I saw something similar in a craft supplies catalog a few years ago. Looking for 1/2" round and 10" long or better. I know I've seen them somewhere I just can't remember who sells them. they'd be for finishing the bottoms of deep boxes. I thought about making a cutter for my homemade carbide tool which doesnt get much use. I like gouges. Anyway, a friend lent me a Raffan DVD on boxes, and I cant find the "long strong" scraper he uses in the video. Anybody know where to acquire such a beast? Emphasis on the over 8" length, preferably 10" or better. It also needs to be 1/2" thick. I'd prefer a 1/2" width or 3/4"--not a wide one. Aside from making a hss cutter for an existing tool, which might be an acceptable solution but Id rather have a real scraper for sharpening sake.

Hey Nathan.
    I remember seeing a few scrapers that fit your description. Henry Taylor manufactures the Mega-Scraper. Craft Supplies is one of the outfits that sell it. A while back, I was thinking of purchasing one to finish turn the interior of alabaster vases. Sorby makes the Texan Collection available here http://www.thebestthings.com They don't have have a box scraper per se but do make an extra long hollower. Woodcraft sells Sorby scrapers that are 1/2 inch thick though. Good luck with your turning and I hope your hand heals up quickly.
    Glenn

Try PSI they have some very beefy scrapers for the right price.

+1to George's comment.I just got their big scraper and am grinding it to the Raffan profile you spoke of. Plenty long but more importantly plenty thick. Looks about 3/8" thick but I have had no jumping around even way over the rest...Bill..

Nathan - probably not the style of scraper you are looking for - but it would work.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...l-Scraper.aspx
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!