Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 15 Planer

Powermatic 15 Planer

Just wanted to check. Is $450 for a 5 year old powermatic 15 planner a decent price?

This is the older style planer without the heilical cutter head and with the roller in feed and out feed tables. It is a single phase motor.

yes

That would be an awesome price. Makes me think there is something wrong with the planer. Will you have opportunity to test the unit. Search ebay for comparable listings. I think your find most ads asking for 1000

I am not sure it is a great price but it is a great planer. I have had one for quite a few years.

They go for 1200-1300 new. That is less than half of new.

Is it in good shape?

Hope that helps.

Quinn

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Great price on a great planner.
    I bought mine about 10 years ago and still going strong.
    The roller infeed/outfeed can be tricky to set up.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I just sold a PM 15 mfg in 1997 last week for $750. Had 3 different buyers wanting it.

Grab it Paul! Very decent price for a PM 15 if it has no issues. You can recoup your investment anytime you wish! $450 gives you lots of wiggle room for an insert cutterhead and still be wayy ahead! Hmmm...
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Well guys I just got back from picking it up. It is actually 4 years old, as far as I can tell and 06 model. Anyway it is in real good shape and planes very nice. It also included another set of powermatic knives, I think those go for over $100 new. He had it listed on craigslist for $500, I got him down to $425 because it was missing the in feed and out feed tables. And the outfeed roller needs adjusting. It turns but is not grabbing the wood. What do you recomend doing about the missing tables. Do I call powermatic or try to devise something myself?

I checked before I called the guy and couldn't find anything like it on ebay to compare for pricing, that is why I asked. Thanks for the help. This should replace my ridgid 4330 nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul, I think that is a great price and worthy of a gloat!!!

I would look at doing 2 things to that planer. Change the head out to a Byrd Helical and find some cast iron tables to add to it.

I don't know if the modern CI tables would bolt straight up to your planer, but someone else a while back had a machine shop drill and tap holes to allow him to do that.
    Wood'N'Scout

Paul,

I would think you should be able to order the infeed and outfeed tables and hardware from a Powermatic retailer near to you or possibly directly from Powermatic.
    I have the Grizzly G0453 version of that planer. You are going to love yours!
    Last edited by Mike Black Milford, MI; 01-20-2010 at 8:53 AM.

I too have the Grizzly version of that planer, G0453. Brand new, just put it together last weekend. It ALL looks 100% identical, and I would bet the cast Grizzly in/out tables would fit perfectly and be much less expensive than Powermatic ones. (Grizzly shows them @ $99/ea.) The tables have oversize holes anyway to allow for adjustments and variances in the castings. Add a can of yellow spray paint and you won't know the difference !!

Powermatic tables are $127/ea from ereplacementparts. Again, I would swear they're identical to Grizzly, but $54 is pretty cheap insurance. Plus, they show shipping to MN @ only $7.20?

Thanks guys that is what I was checking out last night. It looked to me that the green tables would fit. But I found out that the yellow ones weren't a whole lot more. I haven't decided what to do yet. I am itching to get it off the truck, but my help isn't comming until tommarow night. I may have figure out a way to grunt it off my self. I need to add another outlet for this machine now so that will take some time as well.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Paul, I have thought about upgrading my PM15 with the newer PM 15-S tables but didn’t know if they would bolt up cleanly.
    Please report back if they do or not.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Bruce,

Right now it appears I am leaning toward the grizzly tables. If you look at the G0453 tables they are $99 each. If you check out the G0453Z the planer with the helical head the tables are $85. I called grizzly tech support today. The guy I talked to said both machines use the same tables and he didn't know why the prices were different. So it saves me a bunch if i buy the grizzly tables. The machines appear identical. Powermatic says the 15 and 15HH/S can use the same tables. So I am going to see if a creeker can measure the bolt spacing on their tables to make sure they will fit.

Those of you that own the powermatic planer with double sided knives have you had them sharpened or must you buy new. And if so where do you buy them. The knives on the machine I bought are good, but the spare set are dull, the local shapening service wants $55 to sharpen, but I havent been happy with his jobs in the past. And the other place I have been using won"t sharpen double sided planer knives.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 01-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.