Thread: Two HF DCs in parallel

Two HF DCs in parallel

I plan to rework my dust collection as I redo my shop. I had planned on the 3hp Griz but had a thought. The Griz will run me $500. My plan is to run a Thien baffles on it and vent the fines. It hit me at under $300 I can get 2 HF 2 horsepower DCs and run them parrallel, two motors, two impellers. How do you think this would compare to the 3HP Grizzly 1030Z2? The increase in electrical usage is a non-issue since I am just a hobbyist.

I have run two 1hp Deltas in parallel for several years and the setup works quite well for me. Make sure to connect the two units to a common plenum and then duct out from there. In my situation, I already had the DC units and the combined setup saved precious space in my shop. If I were starting from scratch, I would purchase a single machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I plan to rework my dust collection as I redo my shop. I had planned on the 3hp Griz but had a thought. The Griz will run me $500. My plan is to run a Thien baffles on it and vent the fines. It hit me at under $300 I can get 2 HF 2 horsepower DCs and run them parrallel, two motors, two impellers. How do you think this would compare to the 3HP Grizzly 1030Z2? The increase in electrical usage is a non-issue since I am just a hobbyist.

You would have to supply fan curves for both machines so that they could be compared.

If you're OK exhausting outside it is a good solution.

regards, Rod.

I haven't been able to find a curve for the G1030z2 but the Grizzly 2hp and the HF curves can be found here: http://www.deltaportercable.com/uplo...Collectors.pdf

The Grizzlys aquit themselves very well in the test and the HF not so well. The HF can not support a 6" duct alone the question is can 2 connected via 5" hose to a plenum match the 1030s performance. IF I could find a fan curve for the 1030 the question would be more academic, in this case I am just asking for an educated guess and any insight into running DC impellers in parrallel.

Hi, looking at the HF unit, it's about 500CFM at 4.5" SP, which is a reasonable duct design value.

So two in parallel with suitable duct could achieve 1,000 CFM at 4.5".

The Grizzly G1029Z has a claimed airflow of 1,550 CFM, with a measured value of 750 CFM at 4.5" SP.

The G1030Z2 has a claimed 2,300 CFM, so if you halve that value, you're at 1,150 CFM.

One thing I noticed is that the HF only has a 90 day warranty, I wonder if they're trying to tell us something?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. The airflow on the G1030Z2 is a guesstimate, however it's one that fits my testing of single stage collectors. I'd go with the Grizzly based upon probable higher fan performance which you'll need as you're adding a pre-separator which will add frictional losses.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-27-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added Post script

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, looking at the HF unit, it's about 500CFM at 4.5" SP, which is a reasonable duct design value.

So two in parallel with suitable duct could achieve 1,000 CFM at 4.5".

The Grizzly G1029Z has a claimed airflow of 1,550 CFM, with a measured value of 750 CFM at 4.5" SP.

The G1030Z2 has a claimed 2,300 CFM, so if you halve that value, you're at 1,150 CFM.

One thing I noticed is that the HF only has a 90 day warranty, I wonder if they're trying to tell us something?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. The airflow on the G1030Z2 is a guesstimate, however it's one that fits my testing of single stage collectors. I'd go with the Grizzly based upon probable higher fan performance which you'll need as you're adding a pre-separator which will add frictional losses.
    All good points. As a FYI on the HF warranty I would feel the same but they have a LOT of field time and people swear by them and they are CHEAP, I could buy three for the price of the 1030Z2 BUT the noise level would be a lttle too much. I figured any friction I added with the pre separator would be more than offset by venting outside so no bag or filter.

The other thing that might also give the 1030 a bigger advantage MIGHT be its improved impeller as Grizzly calls it, the 1029 tested in my link was the "old" impeller. Now, new and improved is often only cheaper for the company, not sure what the actual case is here.

Thanks for your thoughts Ron!

You can always get the 2 year extended warranty from HF for $19.95. Or that is what they charged on my old unit when I added it. I was skeptical about HF but I could have saved the money it turned out. Still think for that price and peace of mind it's a no-brainer to do if one is the least bit worried.

Solid DC for what it is - and within its limits. Best bang for the buck out there IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blackburn View Post
    You can always get the 2 year extended warranty from HF for $19.95. Or that is what they charged on my old unit when I added it. I was skeptical about HF but I could have saved the money it turned out. Still think for that price and peace of mind it's a no-brainer to do if one is the least bit worried.

Solid DC for what it is - and within its limits. Best bang for the buck out there IMHO
    Yup still the same. I just bought the 2 year warranty 2 weeks ago.

Me had also but never needed it. It was a pretty solid DC in my book.
    IIRC the warranty kicks in after the basic expires. So for many of us, we had a 3 year warranty which might be as long as any offered out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I haven't been able to find a curve for the G1030z2 but the Grizzly 2hp and the HF curves can be found here: http://www.deltaportercable.com/uplo...Collectors.pdf

The Grizzlys aquit themselves very well in the test and the HF not so well. The HF can not support a 6" duct alone the question is can 2 connected via 5" hose to a plenum match the 1030s performance. IF I could find a fan curve for the 1030 the question would be more academic, in this case I am just asking for an educated guess and any insight into running DC impellers in parrallel.
    In all fairness, when referring to the HF 2HP DC, we are actually referring to 2 different models.

The "Old Model" #45378, which I have seen reports of the impeller measuring at something around 9" or 9.5", and the #97869 which I have personally measured the impeller at just under 11". That Wood Magazine article is based on the old model, and if the OP is asking about using a new model HF DC #97869 the numbers most likely are different. Maybe not the same as say a 50-760, but definately better than what that report shows...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My old one was 9 7/8" -- took the bugger apart to measure it when Woodnet had the "hot HF" topic 4-5 years ago now. Shucks - maybe more like 5-6. Time flies.
    I remember one thing clearly - the devils seemed to vary all over the place. Only thing that did not was the compliments handed out by actual owners. Those that didn't had fun doing the knocky-knock thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    In all fairness, when referring to the HF 2HP DC, we are actually referring to 2 different models.

The "Old Model" #45378, which I have seen reports of the impeller measuring at something around 9" or 9.5", and the #97869 which I have personally measured the impeller at just under 11". That Wood Magazine article is based on the old model, and if the OP is asking about using a new model HF DC #97869 the numbers most likely are different. Maybe not the same as say a 50-760, but definately better than what that report shows...

Problem is I can't find any testing of the current models from HF or Griz, both the 2hp and 3hp Grizzlys have upgraded impellers this year, but doubt it is as drastic as the HF upgrade.

Without looking at the detailed specs - another attribute to this is the amperage requirements running the 2 vs. 1 big one, also taken into consideration the fact that you have 2 loud DC's running at once - not sure if that makes a difference as well but just a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin M Rovang View Post
    Without looking at the detailed specs - another attribute to this is the amperage requirements running the 2 vs. 1 big one, also taken into consideration the fact that you have 2 loud DC's running at once - not sure if that makes a difference as well but just a consideration.

Electrical supply is not an issue, I have several free 240v outlets and all are wired with 6ga so I can put up to 60 amp breakers on them.

I plan on walling off the DC section of the shop and insulating the walls so sound will be much lower than a normal single anyway.

I think as it stands right now unless I can get some either objective or even subjective test results I will be going with the single Griz although not as cost effective up front I think it might be in the long run and I have no question that plumbed correctly it will be more than enough for me.

IF you need that much suck I think you answered your own question since juice not a factor