Thread: Drawer slides

Drawer slides

Is there such thing as full extension undermount drawer slides? And where would I find them?
    I would like to replace the undermounts on our (my wife's) kitchen cabinet drawers. Seems that what we want is always in the back of the drawer which is hidden under the counter.

Blog Entries
    Yes they exist at least in name. Do a google search and you will get several listings. Here's one
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Under Mount slides

Go to Rockkler http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=2687
    or probably woodworkers supply will have them.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

Thanks Lee,
    Sorry, but I should have been more specific. I need to replace the existing mounts which would require that similar to side mounts - 1/2" height (or thickness).

Already check WWSupply, WW Hardware, and Rocklers. From what I have seen so far I may have to make some modifications to the drawers or new drawers.
    Last edited by Paul Stroik; 02-04-2010 at 2:52 PM.

Im pretty sure you can just use the same slides, mount them underneath. I have done it on spice type cabinets a few times.

Likely you will need to make new drawers. The full extension undermount drawer slides require specific drawer widths based on the thickness of the drawer sides. They also require clearance between the underside of the drawer bottom and the bottom of the drawer size. (Basically the drawer bottom sits higher in the drawer than regular slides.)

As for using regular side-mount slides mounted flat under the drawer, this is allowed but it cuts the weight rating in half.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 02-04-2010 at 5:44 PM.

Thanks Chris, that confirms what I have been finding in my research.

Lowes also sells an undermount drawer slide setup that looks just like side setup rotated so one part mounts underneath the drawer, the other attaches to the back of the cabinet and on the drawer rail to the front.

I've used them on small drawers. They work OK. Was thinking about mounting two on a larger drawer but haven't tried it yet. The nice thing about them is they don't need the 1/2 inch gap on each side of the drawer as side mounts do. The amount used at the bottom is zero also if you use overlay drawer fronts, either 3/8 inch or full overlay.

Paul, I've used Blum Tandem full extension undermount slides and they seem to work quite well, although a little pricey. But, as Chris said, the drawers have to be made with those slides in mind.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Thanks guys. I guess that is the route I'll need to take.