Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Mahogony Table

African Mahogony Table

I made this for my wife recently - H 36, w 48, D 13. I turned the spiral legs with an old Sears Router Crafter. Constructive feedback on design etc encouraged!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith E Byrd; 02-05-2010 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Added picture

Nice

Keith...that looks great. Those spiral legs really make the piece look difficult to make.

I remember those Sears devices. I'm guessing it's still difficult to make the spirals with the jig. I like your choice of wood too. African Mahogany is one of my favorite woods these days.

Well done,
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Blog Entries
    I've seen the term African Mahogany several times recently in this forum. There are several different species sold under that name. Are you talking about sapele? Do you know which one you used?

Keith, nice work! I haven't used mahogany, of any kind, but it sure shows well in this piece. The legs look very nice, and you did a great job on them. While they might be a little too ornate for my taste, they seem to fit the project very well.

Can you tell me where I can find some info on making the spiral legs? I'd like to try that.

Lowell - I picked the wood up at a mill in Highland Mi and it was simply labelled African Mahogany. Apparently Honduras Mahogany is difficult to get and may be a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Can you tell me where I can find some info on making the spiral legs? I'd like to try that.
    Zach - if you Google Router lathe you will find some info on the router crafter and other similar devices. The router crafter has a pin index system that makes cutting spirals, flutes etc very easy. Craftsman no longer makes it but they are still available on ebay etc.

Very pretty. I have seen some of those sears router crafters at auctions going for next to nothing. Always wondered how they worked. Quite well apparently!

Thanks!
    I got my for I think, around $125 back in 1979 or 1980 - it hung in my basement for 15 years and I dusted it off to do this table. I'm sure that for most these are seen not worth much but I think they do a great job!

I believe (I know actually) I commented on this piece in another galaxy so the same applies here. Can't remember what I did with the old Craftsmans unit I had like yours. Probably sold it but that was many years ago.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The AM has beautiful color.
    Very nice!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Keith,
    That is beautiful! I have had one of the Sears Router Crafters for about 10 years but have never even used it. You have provided the inspiration I need to get going. That is once I return back to the US after a year long trip overseas compliments of the Army.

Bryan, Thanks for the nice words. Pull the thing out of the box and make some sawdust!
    When do you come back home? Where is home? I would like to say a huge THANK YOU for your service. I sincerely appreciate you and every person serving our country. My prayers are with you. God speed.

i am making a table out of Mahogany, what did ya use for the finish? looks really good.

Very nice. What kind of finish did you use?