Thread: Product Photography

Product Photography

I am not sure if this is appropriate place for this topic - but here goes. Basically waiting for a day with sunshine and no rain here to take a product photo is no fun.
    So the question is does anyone have a relatively home studio setup that works, and if so please advise details.

Thanks

Stephen

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    What products are you photographing? I have to be aware of flash and reflection issues with polished stone, but otherwise just keep blazing away with lots of bright, indirect light.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

You could set something up fairly easily with some bright lights, some
    clips or clamps and some white shower curtain to diffuse the lights.
    You can use most any material to diffuse if it is translucent or thin.
    That way you wouldn't have any harsh shadows or hot spots. You can
    use some Gator board as a backdrop and perhaps clip some material of
    your choice to the board to change background/color.

The key is to get lots of light there .. and then soften it.

Mainly stone products - slate, granite and marble.
    Slate is matte - primarily natural riven finish, sometimes honed, while granite and marble is usually polished. Best conditions are bright overcast days.
    At the moment my options appear to be to either get a 'tent' setup or a reflective parabolic umbrella. Light to be supplied by 2 lights if tent and possibly one with the umbrella.

Have a look at TableTopStudio.com - I have some of their Trumpet Top CFL lights mounted in home made booms (mike stands and home depot reflectors). I also have one of their light tents. I shoot mother of pearl which is very hard to do. I also use a HDR tool called Photomatix to do exposure blending. That way I can take a series of shots and keep the highlights from the underexposed shots and the detail from the correctly exposed and overexposed shots. You can see one of my better photos on the home page of my website.

-James
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Quote Originally Posted by James Leonard View Post
    Have a look at TableTopStudio.com - I have some of their Trumpet Top CFL lights mounted in home made booms (mike stands and home depot reflectors). I also have one of their light tents. I shoot mother of pearl which is very hard to do. I also use a HDR tool called Photomatix to do exposure blending. That way I can take a series of shots and keep the highlights from the underexposed shots and the detail from the correctly exposed and overexposed shots. You can see one of my better photos on the home page of my website.

-James
    This topic has been covered extensively in the past. I believe that there is even a tutorial somewhere if you do a search.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Thanks - now I just have to get bits and set up system.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    This topic has been covered extensively in the past. I believe that there is even a tutorial somewhere if you do a search.
    Search the turning subforum, they cover it about once a month.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

You can make one out of PVC tubing, some sheeting and clip-on lights from Harbor Freight, but for what it cost from Table Top Studios I'd go with something like that. I use the coiled fluoresence light as it keeps the heat down.

You need to let them warm up a bit for the color temperature to stabilize.
    Use the white light balancing on you camera to color correct the image and you'll be set!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Scanner

I use a flatbed scanner instead of a light tent. It does a really good job without any flash spots or reflections. Just can't do anything larger than 8 1/2 by 11 inches.
    Epilog Mini-18 / 45 watts
    Hoping to retire sooner than later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Firlotte View Post
    I use a flatbed scanner instead of a light tent. It does a really good job without any flash spots or reflections. Just can't do anything larger than 8 1/2 by 11 inches.
    ...or non-flat objects.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Non-Flat?

Very true...but I only work in granite and marble tiles so no issues so far. Just started a few months back and really enjoying my laser. I guess I'll have to look into a light tent eventually when I expand into the non-flat world
    Epilog Mini-18 / 45 watts
    Hoping to retire sooner than later.