Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just goofin' around again

Just goofin' around again

I was cruising my new favorite store, Yankee Dollar, for more cork when I spotted iron-on denim patches: 10 for $1. Had to buy them and try them out.

They "engraved" very easily, stayed flat on the table (except the grey ones each had one corner coming up - doubleface taped it down) and decided not to use air assist to keep them from being blown around. With settings of 100sp/40p on my 25w, it went fast and easy. No fixture or hold downs, just placed and burned!

I didn't expect the light colors to come out well, but they are fine. Obviously the most contrast is on the black and the white actually looks good too.

Just something to play with. This might be a good fundraiser, club/team thing, etc. They are easy to iron onto hats, bags, jeans, shirts, whatever's not moving, really. I'm using them for our family reunion. That's the Shanghai city seal and the family name.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hey Dee, that's a great idea!

....and they came out looking good. Here's a thought that came to mind when you mentioned 'iron on'...why not engrave a 'stitch-like' pattern as an inset border on them? ...might make it look like they were actually sewn on...
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Funny you should mention that, Dave. The original design did have that, but I decided against it in the end.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Great job, Dee. You sure come up with some cool ideas!!
    LaserLectric Engraving
    Indian River, MI

Epilog Helix 60 watt

5. Very neat idea, thank you for sharing.

They came out excellent Dee. Iron on! I think you might be onto a winner with that one.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Ditto from me.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

That is a really cool idea, Dee. Thank you for sharing.
    Gary

RL 40 6040 40 watt laser, Coral X4, Compucarve, 9x42 Bridgeport mill, 13x36 Clausing toolroom lathe, Reid 2c surface grinder, Legacy ornamental mill, Jett vs mini lathe, and FIRE - micro flame polisher.

Dee:
    How do you come up with all this cool stuff???? Those are really nice.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Did a bunch of these iron-ons for a bike club few years ago. I found the blue ones etch nice. The black that I have done etched to a brownish white colour. Don't forget to reverse your image if your lasering a photograph. The denim will also cut as well as any other fabric.. Yours came out nice Dee I sure you will come up with all kinds of ideas for this stuff..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I'm pretty sure that laser engraving on denim is a copy protected technique.

I remember Epilog had an article in their sample club about this and they removed it.

Way cool Dee! You sure have a knack for new ideas.... My wife will want me to do work on her jeans now...
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

13. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I'm pretty sure that laser engraving on denim is a copy protected technique.

I remember Epilog had an article in their sample club about this and they removed it.
    Can you really copy protect a technique?
    At least here in Sweden i dont think that's possible.
    Or do you mean patented?
    If so is it possible to patent the use of a tool on a certain material? Can you patent the use of a hammer to destroy plates...

Blog Entries
    Keith,

They sell machines specifically geared towards lasering denim.

That said, I can't imagine any court upholding such a patent. You may not be able to afford even a short fight, but it would be one worth fighting. Even so, I can't find such a patent... several about denim "designs", but nothing specifically limiting denim itself.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Even so, I can't find such a patent
    Dan, try this...
    October 31, 2000

A unique method imparts laser induced patterns and other designs on thin fabrics and leathers. The method uses a laser beam to slightly penetrate the surface of the product at a controlled specific speed. The laser beam is directed at the product either directly or through mirrors, shutters or...
    Inventor: Darryl Costin
    Assignee: Technolines LLC

What is claimed is:1. A method of using a laser for forming a design on a product selected from the group consisting of fabrics and leathers, comprising:
    determining, for a specific material of the product, a maximum speed of said specific material relative to the laser, for a given laser power, that will result in a perceivable change for a given laser power, that will result in a perceivable change being formed to said product, and a threshold speed below which at least one of carbonization, undesired burn through or undesired melting of the material of the product will occur; andcontacting a surface of said product with the laser beam to form a design on said surface which changes the surface of the material, and controlling the speed of said laser beam relative to said surface to a range between said maximum speed and said threshold speed.
    Last edited by Dave Johnson29; 02-10-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.