Thread: Bubinga and Curly Maple Side Table

Bubinga and Curly Maple Side Table

This table was made for a former co-worker that I have done several past projects for as well. he seems to like my work.
    He asked that a small side table be made for his bedroom, where he could have some storage space under the lid. He gave me some dimensions and left the wood choices with me. The past projects I have done for him have all been maple, including curly maple, and so I decided to use that again. I also had this sigle bubinga board in my wood collection that I had but but didn't use for a different project.

This table is 40" long, 11 3/4" wide, and 23" tall. The inside space is 3" deep. It is a fairly straight forward design. I incorporated a taper to the bottom third of the two inside edges of each leg. The legs are all cut from a single piece of wood. The customer wanted the top to lock securely, and so that the lock didn't stick out sorely, I decided to add some bubinga inlayed around it. The finish on this table is numerous coats of wipe on gloss poly, sanded in to help fill the open grain of the quarter sawn bubinga.

Thanks for looking.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Ryan....Very nice! I really like this design and the combination of woods. I've been searching for the right combination for some bedroom furniture and this might be it. I like it a lot. Thanks for posting.

Very pretty woods. Looks like whatever he locks up will be quite secure.

Very nice Ryan, had a design like this for a table in the foyer of my house. Haven't started but going to use maple and paduk. The curly maple looks great.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Beautifully done.

Is it M&T joinery or ... ?

Quite a nice piece!

Very eye-catching. Your choice of woods marry quite nicely.

Redheads are like other women – only more so

Thanks gents!

Neil, the joinery is quadruple dowels (3/8" x 2"), done with my mortise pal. I love that thing.

Ryan

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

8. Very nice Table

Great job, and an interesting twist with the hinged tabletop. Thanks for showing.
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Ryan, very interesting design element with the hinged top. The combination of woods works very well, and that is a beautiful piece of bubinga!!

For my taste, and this would vary with observer, I would have preferred a little "lighter" look on the bottom given the thickness of the top. Perhaps tapering the legs starting at the apron, or making them a little smaller in cross section.

But, again, a matter of taste. This piece may match the look of other furniture in the room, or other pieces you have done for him and look entirely different in its surroundings.

You did a superb job on this piece. The finish is great, and I like the embellishment around the lock.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 02-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.

That's a beautiful piece of bubinga Ryan and an interesting way you approached the hinges. The contrast in color is good.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very nice work.

How is the inside shelve held? Cleats, dados, etc.

Ryan
    That Bubunga and Curly Maple sure work well together.
    Nice design with the flip top...
    The legs could be a tad thinner but thats just me.
    Great job on the project though. Very good job...
    As a side note were you able to luck out and get that maple from Channins?

I love it! Especially the work around the key!

Thanks guys. The pine bottom (solid wood, not ply) sits in dados cut in the legs and aprons.
    Gary, I got the curly maple from Atlantic in Sherwood Park. It's such a hassle to get wood from Channin... . Which is too bad 'cause he has some great stuff. He can just never get to it.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
    I delivered this to the customer last night and he was thrilled with it!

Ryan

Michael J. Fox