Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mineral oil

I use walnut oil which you can get at any health food store. A lot of people use it for cooking.

That's exactly what I said... I knew that olive oil would, so I thought maybe I had it wrong. I didn't pursue it since using anything out of the kitchen for finishing would beat me out of a visit to Woodcraft .

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    God I hope not, vegetable oil goes rancid after a while.

Thanks everyone. I did get the M.O. at Target and it was cheap. $1 and some change.

Glad I started this thread.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    And just in case anyone wants to know where mineral oil comes from, see here.

Mike
    Thanks mike.
    That link is a great read.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    According to a post last week, oils can be used only on what they are made from (or named after) so walnut oil on walnut, mineral oil on minerals, baby oil on babies (BTW what is that made from). Sorry, no hijack intended.

I was going to start a new thread, but perhaps I can ask here....

I used Mineral Oil on an endgrain cutting board made from Padauk, Walnut, Maple, Zebrawood, Cherry and Purpleheart.
    I've realized once the oil was on, that there are a few areas where some palm sander marks have been highlited....can I continue sanding an oiled board without the risk of the padauk or walnut staining the maple or the cherry?

Chris,

You might want to tray a card scraper instead. I have had padauk dust stain maple and poplar. Othewise maybe you can tape the light sections off if the oiled has soaked in pretty well.

-R

+1 on the wax and mineral oil, too. Plus it makes the cheapest chapstick you will ever get your lips on!