Thread: Tomorrow is the big day

Talking Tomorrow is the big day

Unless I have some unforeseen wild epiphany, I will be purchasing a new Jet 1642 EVS lathe tomorrow and will likely do that through the guys at Toolnut, they seem to have the best price. I would like to thank all of you who patiently responded to my many posts requesting your feedback. Responses like “buy all the lathe you can afford”, “buy once”, were cause for thought, however the choice was finally made reflecting on something John Keeton said "you can turn big on big and little on big but you can't turn big on little". My dad always said “respect the wisdom of the white heads” In this case it takes on a literal sense. Thanks John. An additional huge factor in choosing the Jet was the LOML, I couldn’t imagine telling her in a year from now that I have outgrown the lathe and need to purchase another. I can only assume some of you guys are married to very special women, be thankful. Well I pretty much broke the bank on this purchase but I know the lathe is just a hunk of metal until I mount a block and put some tool steel to it. Having said that, I would like to go to the well once more – I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on a set of cost effective turning chisels.

John was and is right (and he has the right color hair to go along with that sage advice).

Buy that Jet and don't look back.

I'm not a white head... but I do have the 2hp version of that lathe... you will be very very happy with your purchase. (either the 1.5 or 2 hp)

Lots of people like the Harbor Freight set... they're inexpensive so learning to sharpen is less painful. That and a bowl gouge should keep you busy until you figure out what you really need. I'm on Rocklers email list and they seem to always have their Sorby tools at 20% off, or a 20% coupon... I have too many Sorby tools.

Prepare to kiss you're cash goodbye the vortex is approaching... can you hear it???
    Last edited by Gary Chester; 02-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Congrats on the upcoming purchase. As for turning tools, I'm afraid there's no end in sight for tool purchases. You definitely need a good bowl gouge(or several)... Although I don't own one of his tools yet, my next will come from Doug Thompson. You can't beat the apparent quality and you can save a few bucks making your own handles. If you're crafty, you can make a lot of your own tools.

Nick,

I doubt that you will regret your choice. There are a lot of happy owners here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nick - you will love the lathe!

I agree with the Harbor Freight HSS tool set for spindles and suggest - for a starter bowl gouge - a 1/2" or 5/8" one of these: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/bowl-gouges.html

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

7. Jet 1642

Walter Meier, Jet tools had a sale on Wood working machines. Woodcafts honors their promotion so I bought the 1642. Picked it up 2/20 Saturday and set it up today. Will post pics tomorrow. Very Happy with it.

Nick, there was wisdom in those words, but they actually came from Bernie - though come to think of it, Bernie has a bit of white going on there, too, and is getting "long in the tooth" as well!!

Probably a good decision, well thought out, and you will surely be pleased. I bought and enjoy using the HF set. I got the cheaper one with ash handles and it does fine. The set with red handles is a little heavier and probably a bit better. The best set is the one on sale when you buy it!! I also have a couple of PSI Benjamin Best spindle gouges that I really do not use since I bought a Thompson detail gouge and bowl gouge.

My advice on tools is to buy the HF set, and the bowl gouge that Steve recommended, and use the lathe for several months before even thinking about buying more tools. During that time, you will exhaust the rest of your money with a sharpening setup, 2 or 3 chucks, untold other "stuff" and more wood than you can turn!!! More words from an experienced newbie!

Congrats on the upcoming new lathe. The suggestions for the HF set are good, as is Steve's suggestion for the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges. Another possibility from Penn State is this set, which includes a couple scrapers that are a bit better than the one in the HF set:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCBT4.html

After you've gained some sharpening and handling experience with those tools, then the Thompson tools are my hearty recommendation. Not only some of the best values, but also some of the best turning tools you'll find.

I purchased the 1642 last spring and have been extremly happy. You will like it very much.

Nick I bought this set 4 yrs ago and still use them all today. I would buy again as it gives you pretty much what you need including a bowl gouge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    Unless I have some unforeseen wild epiphany, I will be purchasing a new Jet 1642 EVS lathe tomorrow and will likely do that through the guys at Toolnut, they seem to have the best price. I would like to thank all of you who patiently responded to my many posts requesting your feedback. Responses like “buy all the lathe you can afford”, “buy once”, were cause for thought, however the choice was finally made reflecting on something John Keeton said "you can turn big on big and little on big but you can't turn big on little". My dad always said “respect the wisdom of the white heads” In this case it takes on a literal sense. Thanks John. An additional huge factor in choosing the Jet was the LOML, I couldn’t imagine telling her in a year from now that I have outgrown the lathe and need to purchase another. I can only assume some of you guys are married to very special women, be thankful. Well I pretty much broke the bank on this purchase but I know the lathe is just a hunk of metal until I mount a block and put some tool steel to it. Having said that, I would like to go to the well once more – I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on a set of cost effective turning chisels.
    Nick, I think it was Bernie to whom the quote needs to be attributed, but I think he qualifies as a "whitehead", both literally an figuratively. As for Keeton, I'm thinking he is a ringer that is having a laugh at our expense. Regardless there are some folks here that can give you some good feedback and guidance. I'm jealous about the 1642, but hopefully this spring I'll finally upgrade, so congrats.

As to chisel choices; a lot of folks will say don't buy a set because you will have tools you never use. If you buy a more basic set I don't think that will be the case, and it is a cheap way to get into the game and figure out what you want to spend money on for your premium tools. Of course part of the depends upon what you plan to turn. I mostly turn bowls, bottle stoppers, and tool handles. Personally I have a thing about not wanting to buy Chinese products, but the reality is that a lot of stuff is coming from there these days. The Benjamin's Best tools from PSI are good bang for the buck but don't hold the edge that premium tools will. But they also allow you to butcher some tools as you learn sharpening and not feel like you just threw away some money. I got a 6-piece set with the core tools an I use all of them (small bowl gouge, spindle gouge, spindle roughing gouge, parting tool, skew, and round nose scraper). Since then I have started buying better tools as I need them. Avoid the cheap carbon steel tools.

Once you start getting better tools the Thompsons are great deal, though you need to make your own handles. The Crown PM tools use a similar powdered metal and I have one of their skews that I like and which holds an edge very well. I'm pretty sure the Pinnacle powdered metal line from Woodcraft is actually made by Crown as well, but I'm not certain of that. For the money they seem to be a good buy, falling between the Chinese made stuff and the premium retail stuff (Sorby, etc).

Enjoy the new toy!

JH

jet evs lathe

nick you will love it i bought the jet 1642 2hp evs last year have been nothing but pleased, has done all i ask of it . beware this is only the beginning one you see what it can do it will be donwhill all the way, but the slippery slope is fun!. be careful assembling it it is heavy, take the headstock off and it will lighten it and balance it for safer and easier job. btw the sliding headstock is my favorite feature.

enjoy, cliff

Welcome to the Jet club!

Here's mine shortly after set up and initial trials last October:

I hope you enjoy your as much I have mine!