Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dissapointing Dewalt 735/Shelix performance

My experiences have all been good after installing the cutter head almost a year (?) ago, at least it seems like a long time ago.

No ridges, deep scallopes, less load on the motor, no tearout in figured woods, better chip control and MUCH LESS noise. The Byrd head makes a good tool even better and did I say that it is remarkably quieter than the knife cutter head.

There are other cutter heads that use a similar but not interchangable insert (the Grizzly head for example in my jointer), mixing brands of inserts by you or the people that sold the cutter head to you could give very surprising results.

gary

dont mean to hijack the thread but ive got a DW735 and am curious wat you guys have paid for your shelix head

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Pinsonneault View Post
    dont mean to hijack the thread but ive got a DW735 and am curious wat you guys have paid for your shelix head
    Just over $400 at Holbren with the SMC10 coupon code. Get a pack of extra cutters while you're at it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Scott, I'm suprised to hear this as the dw735 I owned with a shelix head was fantastic. I would get some small ridges when trying to take too much material off the board...but they were small and disappeared quickly with a ROS.

I had the same problem. Got a $20 1/4" drive torque handle from Harbor Fright (misspelling intentional) and removed/reinstalled all my inserts to the same spec. Problem solved.

One may question how accurate a $20 tool would be. I would suggest that for this purpose accuracy is not that important as long as it is consistent.
    Last edited by Brad Townsend; 02-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quick update:
    I took all the cutters, off, rotated them 90 degrees, and reset them all with a torque wrench to 55 in/lbs. The cut was slightly better, but still not good at all.
    I have another head on the way and hope to have good news after this weekend :-)

Keep us posted Scott.
    I'm seriously considering a Byrd shelix for my DW735 very soon as well.

Ryan
    (Ryan in Edmonton on the "other forum" you refer too) ...
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Could the problem be found in your quote---

"The only head that they had was a shelved boxed head with 4 broken cutters (corners busted off, don’t know why), otherwise it looked unused. They replaced the cutters, shipped it all off to me, and I was off to the races."

I'm not familiar with the type of material are in the inserts on the Byrd head, as I have a 735 with a factory head, but if several inserts were broken, could it be possible that a few more were "tweaked" enough to appear "normal" yet perform poorly? Just asking if that might be possible and an avenue to solve the problem? Especially if you cleaned and re-torqued the inserts and solved some of the problems but not all, perhaps a few more of the inserts have issues.

This may be way off, but I ordered a Shelix head for my 735 a few weeks ago and learned they are on back order due to issues with machining and the extra time it's taking now. Could there have been a problem with some that came out? I emailed in for an updated ETA but Byrd hasn't said anything solid yet.

Byrd makes a great head and is quite user friendly when setting the knives. You should be able to get a glass smooth cut regardless of how much you take off. Saying otherwise would mean the head or the knives are bending as they cut. Carbide doesn't bend. Hope the new head works for you. I am in the same camp right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reinholtz View Post
    This may be way off, but I ordered a Shelix head for my 735 a few weeks ago and learned they are on back order due to issues with machining and the extra time it's taking now. Could there have been a problem with some that came out? I emailed in for an updated ETA but Byrd hasn't said anything solid yet.
    The delay is because they are super busy. Powermatic dropped some big orders and in general things are busier.

Update ....

CWW sent me a new head, and I just finished installing it.

YES! Looks good!! Very nice finish.
    There are very slight, even scallops all along the width of the board (to be expected) instead of the hills and valleys I was getting before. I'm very happy with the cut now :-)

I'm guessing that the wrong cutters were installed on the previous head. It seems some time ago Byrd changed the design, and I think that the cutters on the head I first got were meant for the older design. That may also explain why a few were broken. That's just my best guess.

Thanks to C. Moore and Trevor at CCW for all their help in this :-) It's been a big pain.

Now .... back to work !
    Scott.Trebble View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott.Trebble Find all posts by Scott.Trebble Add Scott.Trebble to Your Contacts

Blog Entries
    Wonderful. Glad that got taken care of.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler