Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Amp

Guitar Amp

Almost a year ago I built a speaker monitor for a professional harp player friend of mine. After completing the cabinet I was asked to make a second one...well this one I held on to. I decided to take the next step and convert it to a full blown guitar amp. After some research I found a company in Toronto that sold the electronic components to build a tube amp. I had done some soldering in the past (the cyclone build does not count) but never to this extent. After some trial and error I finally completed it and have it up and running. The cabinet is built out of canary wood and finished with Danish oil. My intention was to load 4 x 10" speakers but due to the tube amp build there was room for 2 x 10" Greenback speakers. Below are some pics of the amp as well as one of my guitars.

That's a beaut! Of course, the key question is, what does it sound like?

It sounds phenominal. The clean channel has really nice tone. I was a little unsure as to whether I could tackle soldering the tube amp together but after getting into it I found it relaxing. The woodworking part was the easy part.

The best speakers I have ever used are the 12" speakers WITH ALUMINUM DOMES that the earlier Roland 120 Jazz Chorus amps used. Those metal domes really act like tweeters,making great bass as well as bass.

Very cool indeed.

Very cool. I'm converting an old Newcomb tube phonograph to a guitar amp. Your cab gave me some ideas. I'd appreciate if you would share the source for the tube amp kit. Thanks

I'd appreciate if you would share the source for the tube amp kit.
    Here is there website www.trinityamps.com

Very nice. Is the circuit an original design or is it a well known circuit?

I built a Fender Deluxe amp a few years back, aka the 5E3 circuit. A fun project and the sound is spectacular.

I use Weber speakers in my amps.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Very nice looking amp and speaker. Excellent job. How's it sound?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

that is just downright nice. The only thing I feel it needs is ME>>....
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Sound clips got to be a necessity on this thread. It looks great but that means nothing without the sound. Very inspirational and would be very interested in this type of build. How did you pull off the speaker mounting? Is it as simple as putting a panel inside and cutting out the speaker hole and screwing to the panel? Was the panel installed during the assembly or was after?

Very nice. Makes me think about building a new cabinet for my old Polytone bass amp.

Very nice.

You need to rummage around in the Projects thread, and look at the beautiful Telecasters Mark Crenshaw builds - seems like the two of you have an opportunity to swap!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Looks great. I'm also curious about what circuit it's based on.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Sweet.

If you ever get to the San Francisco Bay Area you should make some time to visit Mesa Boogie a few miles away in Petaluma. Their entire product is made in house and there is a special area for their custom combos. Exotic woods and even more exotic coverings. Two blocks away is the Tone Tubby factory and on your way back to the city you could swing by Modulus Guitar. Rocker Guitar in the city has culled almost half their inventory but they still have the good stuff, a true eye candy store.