Thread: Questions Questions.... Shopping for a J/P combi and got lost in the woods..

Questions Questions.... Shopping for a J/P combi and got lost in the woods..

Hello all,

I recently burned up my suitcase planer & started looking around for a replacement. I have discovered these j/p combi's and think they might fit the bill for my small shop

Questions-

I run a yacht restoration business and find myself cutting mostly teak.
    I am thinking carbide cutters/knives will give better service so am looking into the index heads and the Tersa knives.
    -Does anyone have experience with these two and would one out perform the other? That is a comparison of the Byrd index type and the Tersa if set up in carbide?

On brand- reading many posts I have settled on the MiniMax fs350. I am shopping used & it looks like 3k will get a nice machine.
    -Is this higher value then a say a Laguana new for a bit less w/the Byrd head? I also am looking at a late 90's Robland XSD310 used at about the price as the MM (perhaps overpriced though has mortiser..)

I honestly believe about any of these machines would do as I am moving up from such poor equipment, but would like to get the better machine if I am going to outlay the cost for this equipment.

While I am at it.. I would rather pay 2k than 3 for the MMfs350..
    -Is 2k a unrealistic price to try to find a lightly used MiniMax 350?

Thanks all
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 02-25-2010 at 1:24 PM.

Tom,

I can't speak to the pricing on a used J/P Minimax or otherwise. But I do own a MiniMax FS2 (520mm) j/p and love the Tersa head. It has 4 knives that are reversable and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to change them all
    out and return to work.

I think you will be best to stick with the carbide knives even though the cost is high they will last you the longest with teak. My finish quality is
    close to that of a hand planed finish with the HSS knives. The carbide
    I am told do not render quite the same finish but last much longer.

Good luck with your purchase,
    Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, Ca.

The MiniMax FS35 Elite would be the current 350mm machine in the lineup. I happen to own the older FS350 and have nothing but good to say about it. Be sure you are looking at on that is in the white/blue color scheme. If it's yellow/gold, it's far older and doesn't have many of the features, such as the Tersa knife system, that more current machines have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks

Do you happen to know how much the Mortiser adds to the package or price to purchase separately?

Thanks

Tom

I purchased a 2 yr old Minimax FS30 Smart for $2500 last fall.
    When the seller told me that he would also include the mortiser,
    I thought this was the deal of the year.

It is a terrific machine, high quality design and construction.
    It works like a dream.

I can not give you the comparison between the Tersa head,
    and a Byrd head. But give me a couple of months and I will.
    I have have been using the Tersa knives on the FS30, but I
    am in the process of changing to the Byrd Shelix head.
    The only reason that I am changing is that I like working with
    figured cherry as much as possible. I am looking to "do the max"
    to eliminate tear out.
    The Tersa knives are very quick to change, (less than 5 minutes
    the second time you do it) and they cut very well. I probably
    did not give them a fair chance in the decision to go to the Byrd
    head.

Good Luck
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I happen to own the older FS350 and have nothing but good to say about it. Be sure you are looking at on that is in the white/blue color scheme. If it's yellow/gold, it's far older and doesn't have many of the features, such as the Tersa knife system, that more current machines have.
    Oops..

Thanks this was a valuable heads up.
    I checked and as it turns out the machine is 1995 and does not in fact have the Tersa Head.

Is there any way to track what other changes might have been made to the machine from that period to current?

I am most interested if the table configuration and basic utility is present in the older machine thought the lack of Tersa head might be a show stopper for me.
    The cabinet is different though the rest of the machine looks identical the the newer models.

My problem is the teak I almost exclusively use in my business. It was my thought that the quick change blades if used in carbide would be a good approach for me..

Thanks for any additional information you might be able to provide

I think I need to give MiniMax a call to go over these machines.
    Does anyone know who the rep is there which would be best to call?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rick View Post
    I think I need to give MiniMax a call to go over these machines.
    Does anyone know who the rep is there which would be best to call?

Thanks all
    I highly recommend Sam Blasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    I highly recommend Sam Blasco.
    Sam is certainly a great guy (and a personal friend), but everyone at MiniMax has been a class-act with me over the years. If Sam is available, great. If not, any of the sales folks will help you out just fine.

As an aside, you may find that the money required to add desirable features to such an old machine might be better spent in finding a more current used MiniMax or Felder J/P. Sometimes folks upgrade to larger/deluxe machines. When you call MiniMax, ask them if they know of anything available, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...