Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new large lathe input

1. maybe I should have stated things a little better

Roger,

I don't believe the Delta is in the same class as the Shop Fox.
    Delta only has a 1 hp motor and a 12” swing.

Karl is looking for 14” swing and a 1-1/2 to a 2hp motor.
    I think you may need to jump up on lathe size a little bit.

Eric,

I realize the Delta midi is not in the same class, I was referencing the price range. For the price, the Delta midi has gotten rave reviews from turners on this forum, and that was my only point.

Most of us who have upgraded have gone through this process ourselves, and we all seem to want to get the most lathe we can for our money, but sometimes the realities of budget issues prohibit us from getting what we truly would like to have, so my reference was that if small to medium turnings was all the poster envisioned he would be turning, then the Delta midi is a featured lathe in the price range he was looking at with the shop fox, and would handle those small to medium projects.

Nothing else was intended by me, and maybe I could have stated things a little better.

Roger, i'd like to ask why you cant use a VFD on single-phase? we use them on Air Condition motors all the time. i believe i have one on the truck now.

Edit:
    Sorry not Roger that was to Dick
    Last edited by Eric Kosanovich; 03-03-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sowa View Post
    One thing that Grizzly (Shop Fox), Sears and a lot of other sellers do, is over advertise the HP of their motors.

In the case of the Shop Fox (same lathe as Grizzly G0462), the manual claims it draws 14 amps at 110V...that equates to a little over 1 HP...not the 2 HP they advertise. A true 2 HP motor, at 110V would draw around 19-24 amps.

I agree with you fully, so to add to that I don't think in 2010 you can rate the power of any tool by HP......There are alot of 7 amp lathes out there that are 1 hp. People need to look at the amps instead of the HP
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

4. Bite the bullet and get yourself a nova dvr/xp

Rating or a Rated and horsepower is a unit of measurement.<< this is at a given load.

The rated amps on a motor would have to change with different loads IE. When you change the size and or speed of a motor.

A 2 horsepower motor is rated at two and will do that amount horsepower of work at full load.

In the case of the manual claims it draws 14 amps at 110V...that equates to a little over 1 HP...not the 2 HP they advertise. This is running load not full load.<<yes this is true and will do this under it's rated load

A true 2 HP motor, at 110V would draw around 19-24 amps. <<yes this is true and will do this under a full load.

Also a factor is the Lathes wiring this is a rating too and not the same as the motor. So when reading the manual please don't give the motor the same rating.

Induction motors almost never run at there ratings as the load is ever changing. Like when you put your tool to the wood. Lathes use this type of motor.

You cant look at amps as a rating of the work or the potential work. Amps are more over a byproduct of the work and ever changing as the work changes.

Eric,

Amps on the other hand are a poor measure of horsepower as a motor can be extremely inefficient due to design and build....consume more amps and produce less horsepower.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm really close to closing this thread for further posting.

The postings have drifted way off topic of the OPs subject.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Karl,

The experienced turners on this forum have a really good idea of what is on the market, and many have seen this lathe up close and personal. What they are trying to do is to help you to understand that when you compare lathes, and their track records, then you can really get a good sense of what the experience has been with different models.

The shop fox w1758 is not near as heavy a machine as you most likely would want, and it has what is some call "an articulating tool rest" which is another way of using an extension arm to make the tool rest not near as solid as the ones you see on a Jet, Powermatic, etc. This extension arm has been known to malfunction, vibrate and in a few cases break on some machines. Some owners have posted about this in the past on forums.

When a lot of turners have already gone through what you are doing [trying to find the best lathe they can for the money they can spend] then they have discovered what you likely will also in your inquiries and gaining from other's experiences.

I looked seriously at the shop fox, and then after noticing the features and heavy machining on other lathes, then ruled out the shop fox. A lot of this will depend on what you believe you will be turning. If you are going to do smaller projects only, [pens, goblets, spindles, candlesticks,etc] then you don't need the heavy cast iron of a machine weighing 500 -800 lbs.

Budget concerns always enter the equation also. If this lathe is in your budget, but a Jet costs too much, then you have to factor that in, and you might be fine with the shop fox. I don't think that the shop fox is a "bad" lathe, but it is lighter weight, has limits on the slow speed [600 rpm is pretty fast for a slow setting especially for sanding, and turning out of balance bowl blanks, etc.] You will be limited to some degree by this issue, but for you it may not be anymore than a minor annoyance.

If price is a big concern, and you believe that you only want to do small to medium sized turnings, then the new Delta Midi that many have gotten and have posted about seems to be well thought of, and would be in the same price range as the shop fox, and has variable speed. Hope this helps.
    Forget the $500.00 Grizzly, been there, done that, horrible piece of junk.I should really say what I think. David Woodruff

Blog Entries

Grizzly

The old saw, "you get what you pay for" is painfully true when buying a lathe. The $500.00 Grizzly will cause you to quit turning, causing you to think the mistakes are yours, when most of the fault is with a lathe that has a sudden start at 600 rpm, vibrates like it is walking out the door, noisy, poor rigidity. First, do not consider a lathe without VFD, Second, Spend at least $1500. if you can. Third, look at weight, more is better. Fourth, even if turning pens all the above is true. The $1400. Grizzly might be worth a look if trying ti minimize costs.

David Woodruff

I have, and started with the 1014i. I went from that lathe to the 1642 2hp.

The only 'upgrade' I would consider in the ballpark you are looking at (albiet it more) would be the variable speed Delta. Beyond that, you are really looking at something between $1k-$2k for a true upgrade, with the features, quality, and customer service we all seem to look for.

I still use the 1014 for pens and small things.

My first lathe was an harbor freight...*&(*&())%^% ... i really cant be to mean about it though because it did pull me in to the wood turning thing. But now that lathe is going to be a dedicated buffing system..

I do like my jet 1014I and I do like my rikkon but I think I will wait and if I have to buy used that is fine, but I think Id rather wait for a good lathe than to jump the gun and be sorry for quite some time..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant