Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Warning, graphic photos!" Handheld router accident (Stupid)

Gee ! I have to make sure my wife does not see these pictures. Or my woodworking hobby will be permanently closed and my tools will be on craiglist or ebay ! Take care bro. Hope this will prevent something much worse that was in pipeline.

Not to worry, its only a flesh wound

Ouch ouch ouch...

Good reminder to always make sure everything is clamped down as it should be.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks, a good heads up for all of us.

I always try to keep in mind where the tool will travel if it grips the work and runs, and also where the work will move it it gets grabbed by the cutters.
    In both cases the movement happens too fast to dodge and avoid injury.
    The third kind of danger is simply keeping ones body parts out of cutters on saws and machines.
    Decent set up will save you in the first two cases, decent guards and paying attention in the last.
    I will not forget having to pick fingers out of the dust under a table saw for one of my guys.
    Keep safe.
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 03-04-2010 at 7:30 AM.

Jim, but he is the Black Knight, he is INVINCIBLE!!!!!!

Seriously though, glad to see it stitched up nicely.

And I wonder how many that said "Oh, I didn't need to see that" are also in the "no pics, didn't happen" school...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Glad it wasn't any worse. Heal quickly. Thanks for sharing because we all need these graphic reminders on occasion so we don't get lazy in our safety precautions.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos View Post
    George, the small tools are the most dangerours.
    Not enough space for material support, fences and safety devices.
    A small tablesaw or a circular saw cuts as good as a cabinet saw.
    From the pictures looks like you are very lucky.

Can you post a picture of the setup going wrong for me and others
    to understand what may go wrong in similar work?

thanks.

Konis? roots of the name?
    Dino its actually Konidaris, (greek)

Thank you guys, i ll post some pics of the setup. I left the piece intact.

If I am using a router table I wont make the cut unless I can use both hands to hold the piece. The opposite is true for a hand held router both hands on the router or I won't make the cut.

That is the most gnarly picture I've seen on SMC.

That's a fine sewing job though, and I hope your hand is doing well.

YIKES!!, is right. Still makes my skin crawl. I hate getting hurt, and don't like to watch others get hurt either. NO FUN
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by George Konis View Post
    Dino its actually Konidaris, (greek)

Thank you guys, i ll post some pics of the setup. I left the piece intact.
    You can't hide the roots.

The damage was min. Very lucky.

thanks for posting the photo.

Real lucky there. If you escaped that with no deficets the woodworking gods were looking out for you. Nice job with the stiching as well.

Nothing scares me more in my shop than the router. There is no other power tool in which your hands are in such close proximity to the cutting surface. In fact I got on line tonight to see if anyone knew whwere I could get a table saw moulder (looks like they are not made any more---wonder why?).

But a good warning to all from the novice to the most expericaned wood worker. Thanks for posting these.

Thanks

George,

Thanks for the post. We all need an occasional reminder how our hobby/profession can take a quick turn for the worse. I'm glad they were able to do you up right. Speedy recovery.
    Cut once, bandage twice!!

I'd say that thing hit the best possible spot on your hand. There are so many nerves in your hands that you somehow missed them all...lucky man. I took a razor blade across the top of my hand in front of one finger and got a nerve. Finger will never work right and is always in my way. Imagine to lose the use of your thumb if it was a bit lower...I wouldn't know what to do without a thumb. Anyways, thanks for the reminder and hope you healed up well. And nice stitch job, where did he find all that skin?

So much for that hand modeling job.........