Thread: Achieving a dark cherry stain on hardwood. Please help! Pics included

Achieving a dark cherry stain on hardwood. Please help! Pics included

I bought a used 300 gallon aquarium with a stand and canopy. The previous owner did a HORRIBLE job staining the wood. It was streaked, blotchy, and unsealed. The wood is a type of hardwood but not sure

I have begun the restaining process and need some help. I have begun to sand the old stain off. It is coming off easily/completely because it is unsealed. I am sanding with a Dewalt Orbital sander and 80 grit sand paper, I will aslo finish off with a 220 grit before applying new stain.

Here is the problem I am having. I have started to do a practice stain on the back of one of the doors with "Minwax oil based Red mahogany" and I am not getting the dark cherry color I am wanting (wiping on with cut up old teeshirt). I tried a 2nd coat according to most directions I have read but does nothing. Upon reading this thread I found out that additional coats with oil based stain does nothing.

All in all I dont know what I am doing. I want a darker cherry color and not this lighter brown (minwax red mahogany). I wish it was softer wood and I dont think I would have this problem. Also do I need to add a ood conditioner? What kind? Also what type of stain, varnish, and method should I do to achieve a nice dark cherry color?

Thanks

I will add some pics a bit later.

Pictures wernt posting right so I will just post a link to my 300 gallon aquarium build thread. Page 3 has all the pics of wood stuff.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1#post16715678

The help is appreciated!

There are more than stain color issues at odds here.

Sanding does not remove stain or old finish from the pores of the wood; which happens to be where you need the stain to collect when staining wood.

A chemical stripper will remove the stain frm the pores, sometimes a brass brush helps get it out of the pores, red oak has deep pores.

I know you say the wood isn't sealed; but it is, stain will paritailly seal the wood.

Pick a different stain if that oone isn't what you want. Test it after you properly strip it.

Also sanding (after the stripper) with 80 then 220 is too much of a jump. 100, 120 and 150 need to be used before 220. Stop at 150 or 180 for a darker color.

Practice on the inside of the door.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Would he be able to achieve that color dyeing the wood? I finally got some transtint and started messing with it today. By cutting it with DA I found I could really darken a sample piece pretty easily. Just a thought.

This red mahogany color might be the ticket!

General finish's Rosewood or Merlot might be another color choice other than the minwax mahogony. Homestead finishes is a good source.

Another major issue you have is that you are dealing with two different species of wood. Your piece looks like it might be an oak and I don't know what the other one is.

Different species accept stains differently. The color will be affected by the absorbency of the wood. Different species also will color differently due to the inherent natural color of the wood.

You will need to mix various colors to get to one that will mimic the color you want.
    Howie.........

Minwax red Mahogany is an odd mix of stuff. Read the back of the can and it will tell you what finishes it will work with. I've had problems with it. Seems oily and it does not build very well. I'd be temped to use shading lacquer or paint the thing.

gel stain

Travis
    I won't pretend to be an accomplished finisher, but I had the same problem with a patio door, which I thought I had rouined. I ended up hiring a guy who stains windows and doors for pella window. He used gel stain that he mixed on the spot, and he matched what I wanted to a T. I know you know this but make sure you seal the inside supper tight. Thats where all the problems start.

PS It's been a long time since I've been to reef central. I had a full blown 180 gal sps tank for 8 years and took it down about 11 months ago. I didn't miss it then but going back to RC kinda puts me in the mood.

Mike

hehe set up another aquarium!

Thanks for all the tips. Sherwin Williams mixed me up a stain and after two coats it looks decent. I will stain a door completely and post some pics