Thread: Various questions on bowl turning

Various questions on bowl turning

Ok, I have some various questions that pertain to bowl turning:

1) when turning a bowl, do you periodically stop to check for cracks, etc. so that you can fill them in with CA glue? Or is this only necessary on dry blanks?

2) For those who use the alcohol drying method, what type of container do you use?

3) And what type of scale do you use to measure its weight? A standard kitchen scale?

4) Is it possible to use a spindle gouge with a Ellsworth grind on it to turn a bowl or is it vital to have a bowl gouge?

You can see I am very ignorant on all of this, but I learn quick! Thanks!!

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    The very best way to start is to get Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy" . It is where I believe all newbie bowl turners should start. Bill is a SMC member and an excellent teacher of wood turning.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I do have it, but unless I missed it, the above questions were not answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
    Ok, I have some various questions that pertain to bowl turning:

1) when turning a bowl, do you periodically stop to check for cracks, etc. so that you can fill them in with CA glue? Or is this only necessary on dry blanks?

Yes, but mainly due to the fact that I turn burls more than regular woods, I will sometimes use CA glue, it really depends on what is going on with the piece I am turning and what I want to to look like when I am finished. You also need a keen ear, you can more often not tell when something is wrong by the sound. I just started using tinted epoxy which I use in some cracks/voids but once again it depends on what I am trying to do.

2) For those who use the alcohol drying method, what type of container do you use?

I picked up one of those paint pails (5 gallon) from the big box that comes with a sealed lid.

3) And what type of scale do you use to measure its weight? A standard kitchen scale?

I use a moisture meter.(pinless)

4) Is it possible to use a spindle gouge with a Ellsworth grind on it to turn a bowl or is it vital to have a bowl gouge?

Not sure on this one as I don't have any spindle gouges but I do know the flute is quite different....but then again my young fellow can hollow a bowl using this monster scraper that we have as fast as I can using an Ellsworth.

You can see I am very ignorant on all of this, but I learn quick! Thanks!!
    Have fun and good luck!

Andy

Possible? Yes. Recommended? NO, especially for hollowing your bowl. Not a particularly safe way to go about it.

In addition to Ken's excellent suggestion to check out Bill's video, also consider joining your local AAW chapter and attend the meetings. 'Lots of opportunities for mentoring, seeing demonstrations and seeing others' work up close and personal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Local is 3 hours away....ONE way. Oh well.

Local is 3 hours away....ONE way. Oh well.
    Worth the trip at least once, the AAW also has a directory of members and you may find a local member who can help you. New Mexico has two chapters and the both meet on weekends.
    Last edited by Anthony Yakonick; 01-14-2005 at 4:58 PM.

Woah, I missed that. Last time I checked I only remember one in Abq. The other is so much closer and smaller (which I prefer!). I sent an email. Thanks to you and Jim for the suggestion!

Regarding question #4, for really light cuts, it is possible to use a spindle gouge. However, you can't really put an Ellsworth grind on it because the flute is too shallow and there is not enough steel in the tool.

Because you really want to remove a good amount of wood when you are roughing out the piece AND you will be working at some distance off of the tool rest, the best tool is a bowl gouge. There is a lot more steel to support the bevel in this tool. Now, you can get a tape by Richard Raffin where he uses a spindle gouge while he is finish turning a small bowl. However, whenever he starts to hog out material, he goes to a bowl gouge.

Another advantage of the bowl gouge is that when you use THAT tool to do a finishing cut, you have the advantage of the additional mass and leverage of the tool. You will more likely cut a much smoother surface. Good luck, turn safely.

Matt