Thread: Another first,for me anyway

Another first,for me anyway

After receiving my DVD from Mike Mahoney on the Kelton Coring system on Thursday and viewing it a couple of times I decided that I had waited long enough so Saturday I chucked up an ash blank that I had and tried Coring.
    My first and last attempt was terrible using the instructions that came with the System , but after reading the advice of turners here and other forums and watching the DVD I think I can call the adventure a success.
    What do yuo think.
    Thanks , Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like success to me, Fred!! And a great way to preserve material, especially when it's highly figured or expensive exotics. Plus, it just plain gives you more blanks to turn!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Looks like it worked good Fred!
    what are the sizes of the bowls?
    I have been thinking of trying to make a homemade one if I can come opon the right stuff to make it.
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Fred -

Looks like you were very successful. How steep is the learning curve for feeding the coring tool in to the work? Looks like a great way to conserve material. Would be especially useful for valuable material.

Ted

Jim, the largest bowl is about 9" ,the 2nd @7" and the last @ 5".They are soaking in Methyl Hydrate now so I can't get exact measurements.

Ted, the learning curve for feeding isn't too steep, but I learned quite a bit in this exercise . The most important thing is that my lathe is desperately under powered. I am going to put on a bigger motor and try it again. Got lots of catches and belt stopping.

Fred

Nice job on the coring. I have to ask what happened to the other half of that General

I bought the General used & the salesman told me the guy was upgrading to a bigger General and kept the stand.???

Fred