View Poll Results: What do you do with them?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep everything in them

80 40.61%
  • Store them, but don' use them

66 33.50%
  • Throw them away when I get them (includes give, sell, donate, recycle, etc.)

51 25.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blow Molded Plastic Tool Cases

I keep some of my less used tools in their cases (planer, jigsaw, large circ saw), the accessories for others in the relevant case (auxiliary handles for hammer drills etc), and store the rest.

The idea of storing them is that I ever wish to sell the tool, I have all the bits that came with it.

I can't get rid of them. Harder to store and retrieve which makes me procrastinate clean up as a result. It seems irrational to keep them.
    Gary

I couldn't vote.
    I use some of them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Minear View Post
    Some cases I do not store the tool in, because, there aren't a lot of little parts to go with the tool and the tool itself doesn't need protection, like corded drills etc. Those cases are gutted of the compartment dividers and re purposed for mobile containers. Some carry sockets and wrench sets, some carry stick fillers and touch up markers.

Andrew
    How do you gut them? I did it once, but it is a miserable process. But perhaps you have a better idea than i did.

+1 for keep all, use some.
    I keep the cases for those tools I use outside of the shop, like the reciprocating saw, and tools I want to keep dust free like the nail guns. The remainder go up in the attic for when we move, or if I sell the tool. I keep thinking one day I'll find another use for them, but I never do.

I also have a couple of tools that are large and have a ton of accessories like my Dewalt belt sander. Since I don't have any better place to keep them, those tools stay in their cases and are pushed to the side of the shop.

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

The case with the 9.6 Makita drill was useful.

The case with the Fein Multimaster less so. Hard to coil the cord and keep it in the odd bit of space provided

Porter-Cable shoulda known that if the saw was kept in the case the strain relief on the cord was bent too sharply and would break. And why on earth there isn't a home for the rip guide in there is lost to me.

As mentioned above, one can 'gut' them and then, perhaps, have a more useful box. The Fein Multimaster is the perfect tool for such gutting.

I keep my stuff that came with a case in that case. Just makes it easier to transport them. I have a large hole in the water that is surrounded by fiberglass and has two small block chevy's that is constant need of something to be fixed or upgraded. Not to mention that when they are stored in my garage/shop that doesn't have dust control yet, they stay cleaner.

I keep all my "kit" tools in their cases, mostly because I don't have adequate cabinet/drawer storage for the tool. I have a belt sander and angle grinder that didn't come with cases so they just don't have a home right now and tend to get tossed around.

If I had decent, customized storage for my portable tools, I would store the cases in the attic.

I keep them all but only use some of them. Some are repurposed for other tools that don't come with a case. For example, My HF multi tool came in a box. I rarely use it in the shop so I store it in a Dewalt cordless drill box for job site work. It's the same with a cheapo angle grinder.

So, tools that are used primarily in the shop aren't stored in their cases while jobsite tools are.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I keep most of my tools in them, it helps me to keep the shop organized. I just built my shelving to accomodate the boxes.

I keep my air gun and 2-piece router in the case and that's it. The rest of the tools stay out too often to mess with the cases.

Tool cases

I toss mine in trash as I store like tools (sanders, saws, nailers, etc.) together in drawers in tool cabinets.

I was tossing my Festool systainers too, then someone here alerted me to the vast hordes of crazy people who pay big money for empty ones off of e-bay. Sure enough, I checked it out and there's a lot of folks who not only drank the cool-aid, but keep returning to the table for more!!!

So, I rooted around in one of my sheds and found three empty ones I had neglected to toss. Their for sale on e-bay now, where I'm sure they'll find a good, nurturing home.

To me, they're just another, useless plastic box. One fellow paid $70 for an empty one!!!!!

On man's trash is another's treasure, I guess.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I couldn't vote.
    I use some of them.

Same here. Have kept only the cases for my Bosch Jigsaw and laminate trimmer. The rest were tossed.

PS. Wish the Dowelmax came with a case.

Custom shop and GC mobile user here. I trash (recycle) or store every case unless its a padded/protective case. The only ones I use are for our job site laser ($900) or something like that.

For us, with cordless tools and so on, we may have eight or ten drills and four chargers. Carrying all those cases is a waste. We simply lump all the drills and chargers into large bags (greenlee) so batteries, chargers and tools, are all together.

Most everything else is shop/truck stored in its place and needs no case.

Personally, due to the waste, I think consumers should be charged a premium for tools provided with such wasteful packaging. There is simply no need for that amount of plastic, shipping volume, and so on, for such tools.

With regards to many cordless tools in particular, you shouldnt be storing anything metal (bits/blade) in the case with the tool and open batteries. So the cases should be 1/2 the size easily.

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Personally, due to the waste, I think consumers should be charged a premium for tools provided with such wasteful packaging. There is simply no need for that amount of plastic, shipping volume, and so on, for such tools.
    Mark
    I wish there was an option to buy without the case at a lower price. In most cases I don't want it. Like otehrs I store my air nailer in one. I also store my belt sander in one to make it harder to get at so I am not tempted to use it and mess up a project. Also biscuit joiner because I don't use it much.