Thread: Cole Jaws/Doughnut Chuck

Cole Jaws/Doughnut Chuck

I made a Doughnut chuck with a few different size holes.It works pretty well but would the cole jaws be better? Who would have a good deal on the Cole Jaws for my 46-460? Would all cole jaws fit my Oneway talon chuck or do they make different ones for different chucks?
    Donny

I sold my cole jaws as I didn't like them. I feel a donut chuck is safer and works a lot better for me. There were a lot of bowls I couldn't use them on. Just my opinion.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Donnie,

I use a donut chuck. I even use it on NEs and HFs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Donny - I picked up the Oneway Mini-Jumbo jaws for my Talon when I first started turning. The swing of my lathe at the time was 12" and that was the size Cole jaws that fit.

Since then I made a donut chuck and mount the base of the donut chuck to the Cole jaws - without the bumper feet. That way my Talon supports the donut chuck - it runs true and I found a use for the Cole jaws on a larger lathe.

Personally - go with the donut chuck - it is a lot more secure and you won't launch your turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Maybe I need to just need to give it more practice.I've only used it once and I guess I got the bowl off center a little and when I added some detail on the bottom the circle I added wasn't centered on the bowl and I didn't think I had enough room to remove the circle and start over so I guess you learn from your mistakes.I have added spaced circles drawed on the backing plate since then so that might help line up the bowl.
    Donny

I have some cole jaws and have launched a few bowls using them. Even after some modifications to try to avoid that, making a doughnut chuck is on my short list of projects...

mark

Why not have it both ways like I did, make a donut ring for your cole jaws. I use them with and without the donut depending on how secure it seems.

Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Donny get you one of these. Screw off your chuck with the bowl still attached. Screw in this adapter into your chuck and mount in your tailstock. Bring your tailstock up the the donut chuck and clamp into place. Remove chuck and perfectly centered. Pic's below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ditto what Bernie said. Don't forget to hang the doughnut over the adapter before screwing the chuck onto it, or hang over tailstock B4 stuffing adapter into latter.
    Richard in Wimberley

What is a doughnut chuck and do you have any photos or suggestions how it can be made??? Maybe a link to how it is made??? Thanks.
    John T.

John,

Here is a pick of my smaller one in my album. If you google donut or compression chuck there are several good tutorials on the net. I think Bill Grumbine has one out there.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture....pictureid=2703

I have a set of cole jaws that I rarely use. I also don't use a donut chuck. 99% of the time I just use a jamb chuck with a piece of leather and it works very well and it very fast. One of these day's I will put together a vacuum chuck when I get the time and the money.

Good Luck

Alan

I have both the Cole jaws and a box full of donut chucks I have made over the years. I much prefer the donut chucks because they are more versatile and I can always make a slightly different one if need be. The Cole jaws have launched a few pieces - as mentioned above - and marked up a few. I have since learned that replacing the rubber stops with wine corks will fix most of these problems, but have yet to try that. What I really like is Rick's idea of adding the donut to the Cole Jaws. I'll definitely have to give that a try.

I have Cole jaws and a donut chuck with several different openings. However, I like the Longworth chuck best of all. It's not quite as secure as the donut chuck but it's a lot more convenient than the donut chuck or the Cole jaws.

If you're interested in making your own do a search on Longworth chuck and you'll find plenty of plans for making your own. Or, there is a fellow on this forum that makes them for sale for a very reasonable price......Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.