Thread: More Bowls

More Bowls

Its been a couple of weeks since my last post but there certainly has been no shortage of turning going on here. I am still working the DNA drying system and having very good results at least with maple and cherry. I tried it with some apple wood and have not had very good results. Lots of cracking issues. So I took a different approach there and have been trying Steve Russels boiling method with a twist. After boiling the wood I let it cool down and then soak it in the DNA. For a test I did 4 rough outs, boiled them all, 2 were wrapped in bags after they cooled down and 2 were soaked in the dna and then put in bags. So far so good. The ones soaked in the dna are losing weight a bit faster, which is expected, but all are holding their own without any cracking and minimul warping.
    Below are a couple of my recent finish turns. The first is from a rotted apple burl. (my first burl) It was a good size burl but by the time I got rid of all the rot, I was only left with 2 small workable pieces. This is one of them, the other is still drying. This one was boiled and then saoked in DNA. It is 8 inches by 2 inches high and finished with 2 coats of minwax antique oil.

The second in Cherry. This one was roughed out, soaked in DNA, bagged and dried for 10 days. It is 6.5 inches by 4 inches high and finished with a few coats of Mr. Boos butcher block oil.

I took these pics with a camera instead of my cell phone so I would assume they should be much better than my previous pics. I had it set on macro and set to superfine. Let me know I can make any tweeks to improve the quality now that I have many more options.

Thanks Guys....enjoy!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MIKE E BEE; 03-22-2010 at 7:28 AM.

The photos are a lot better than your previous ones. I like these two bowls better than any of the one you have shown so far. Apple has a lot of character but I keep going back to the cherry, I think I like it the best. I like the foot on that one. Keep them coming.

Now that you are using a camera instead of the cell phone for pictures, you might want to ask for suggestions on setup also. I remember one members post that said he took a photo of his finished project while it was sitting on his table and posted it online for sale. In 3 weeks it had not sold so he took a second photo of it in a photo tent (homemade) and it sold the same day he posted it.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bullock View Post
    The photos are a lot better than your previous ones. I like these two bowls better than any of the one you have shown so far. Apple has a lot of character but I keep going back to the cherry, I think I like it the best. I like the foot on that one. Keep them coming.

Now that you are using a camera instead of the cell phone for pictures, you might want to ask for suggestions on setup also. I remember one members post that said he took a photo of his finished project while it was sitting on his table and posted it online for sale. In 3 weeks it had not sold so he took a second photo of it in a photo tent (homemade) and it sold the same day he posted it.
    Hi Roger,
    Yes I do recall that posting and sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Mike

Mike, definite improvement - in form and pics! You did well holding together the apple burl - looks like it was a challenge. The cherry bowl is nice, and is my favorite of the two. A feature that I struggle with is placing the convex portion of the ogee lower on the bowl - about 1/3 up from the bottom. Hard for me to consistently do, but it seems to really help the look.

The photo tent is next!! I hope to get one done in the next couple of weeks!

I have a real hard time disliking anything turned in apple. I understand it is very tempermental to work with, but the colors & character is awesome. I'm sure I will try it someday, but I need to be learned some more. Nice work on the apple bowl. The cherry has a unique form with the beaded foot, and I really like the rim detail on it. Very nice work on both of these Mike.

Both are nice bowls Mike. I think these are my favorites of the ones you have done.

Nice work on both of these bowls Mike!

Just something to think about - a lot of times you want to place details at the 1/3 or 2/3 height position to draw attention to that area. When the details are located in the center of the piece - it effectively cuts the piece in half and doesn't draw attention to anything other than itself. Just my opinion.

When it comes to photos - it helps to have plenty of light and a neutral background. Other than that - take lots of photos and see what setup works the best for you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

One wild bowl and one utility bowl... both Very Nice!

Really nice Mike on both. Pictures look good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice bowls, really like the apple

Thanks Guys for all your comments.

Nice advice on the detail Steve. I will certainly take that into acount on my next one.

I think I will also make a small photo tent to improve the pics and also add some consistancy to the album.

Thanks for taking the time gents!!

Mike

Very nice on both counts.

I particularly like the burl piece just because it's a gnarly chuck of wood.

Great progress!