Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw guard with dust collection

I have the Sharkguard - works well w/ 4" hose and 3hp cyclone.

Someone on a local woodworking site of which I am a member is currently nursing a hand wound due to a non-through cut. He was pushing the wood through a dado cut when the blade grabbed the wood and moved it out of the way much faster than his hand moved.

I think he would say that an overarm guard would be a safety feature for non-through cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Glenn, that's only true when there's material on the table.

It's not true as you're removing material or placing new material on the table.

That's when you're paying the least attention to the blade.

Regards. Rod.
    I am with you 100% on this one (as I usually am, except for the whole no router thing). Not a day goes buy reading the forum that I don't see another reason why Sawstop does and should sell a LOT of saws. Even if one never has the saw running except with stock on the table the blade DOES present itself at the end of most non-through cuts. The OAG helps prevent injuries in these situations and if nothing else for me it gives a visual reference of exactly where the blade is even when I can't see it. The idea that OAGs are there more for DC than protection on a SS gives credence to the argument that SS owners become less safety conscience (in the traditional sence), an argument that I long thought was bunk. The "American (or should I say North American) cabinet saw is flawed from a safety perspective but the OAG is one significant way to address at least some of those issues, a brake is indeed a better mousetrap but why not use two mousetraps when one has a whole shop full of mice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the great discussion. I was almost decided on getiing an Exactor overarm guide until I saw Peter's post about Sawstop's built in dust collection. I will live with what I have now rather than spending $400 on a guard now that will not really be needed with a Sawstop.
    Frank,

Sawstops guard does an excellent job at just collection. I have tested it compared to a shark. Considering the sawstop has such a small port for the dust collection it does an amazing job. I cannot suggest a shark for a sawstop PCS saw because it is equal to but not better than the sawstop guard. I would suggest it for any other saw that does not include sawstop's guard. But the shark cannot be used for non through cuts. So if you are really interested in keeping your table top clean after most every cut and have a useful guard for almost every cut. I would suggest looking at the overhead guards again.