Thread: FMT or Super FMT

FMT or Super FMT

Other than the price savings with the Super FMT, is there an advantage to one over the other? I am seriously contemplating a purchase, but am trying to gain information on whether one is better than the other over all. If more money means a considerably better product, I would gladly go that route. Thoughts? I read the comparisons on the Leigh jigs site, but I would rather hear from end users.

John

I am not an end user, but I did recently read an article about the new Super FMT (No, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!) in either WOOD or WJ I think. From what I remember, the two jigs work exactly the same, but the Super version is made of more aluminum and the Pro is more iron or steel? Basically, the Super is a lighter, less expensive version for the hobbysist, from what I gather anyway...

I have the original one

It is super solid and twice the cost of the Super. I think the "new" clamping system of the Super should be better. The Leigh friction clamps don't work that well. I have used the original a bunch, I'm having trouble believing the Super will not work just as well.

Unless the Super is flimsy or bendy (it is steel after all), I would buy it and save the money. On the other hand, if you like the original, I bet there are a few lightly used units for sale somewhere.

I find that I used my mortiser over the FMT, unless I'm doing lots of them. If you asked which one FMT, Super FMT or floor mortiser, I would choose the mortiser.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the FMT. The big reason I am looking at one is my dissatisfaction with my floor mortiser (Delta) it may be great for a small number of joints, but I am not impressed with it overall and I need to make numerous joints at one time.

John,

What's nice about the FMT is the repeatability. I just finished a 10 chair set of Missions style furniture. I counted the number of M and T's but can't remember, but it was a bunch. I think my arm would still be whipped if I had to pull the lever down for each "portion" of a mortise. With that said, if you are only doing ones and twos, I'm not sure the cost could be justified. Good luck with the decision.

I just bought a used FMT Pro from a fellow woodworker (it's like brand new). Great unit, really solid and very easy to use. This guy had every size insert also. Fixing to do a load of repeated tenons and mortises and the set-up is too simple and the execution is near perfect. Much faster than a dedicated mortiser.

I bought the Super FMT about two months ago. The Super is made of stamped steel I believe. Thus making it cheaper. The Pro version is milled out of aluminum.

I've used the Super on a couple of projects since receiving it and the results have been excellent. I haven't touched my mortiser since I got it.

I am considering buying the super, does an instructional DVD come with it?

My question looking at the Super FMT is how to square up the stock... It looks like you just clamp the workpiece on... I don't see how you easily ensure that it is square to the table top without pulling out a square.

Maybe not a big deal.
    Last edited by Peter Aeschliman; 04-29-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Seems like the one I saw on YouTube had a stop that it aligns with. I went ahead and ordered the Super.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    My question looking at the Super FMT is how to square up the stock... It looks like you just clamp the workpiece on... I don't see how you easily ensure that it is square to the table top without pulling out a square.

Maybe not a big deal.
    I have not used mine in awhile, but there's a metal bar which attaches to the jig that you can use to square it up. You can also tilt it if you want to do angled mortises.