Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloured Dust in white letters of Rowmark

Coloured Dust in white letters of Rowmark

As the title suggests. How do you get it off?
    I've seen a thread about it before, cannot find it. duh.
    Any brilliant ideas?
    My suckage is at maximum, my machine is clean.
    2" letters, which I know are kinda big.

merci, trés beaucoup

I don't know about all that mercy bucout's and stuff, but a product I have been using for a while now that works excellent is called "Rapid Remover". It's an adhesive remover used in vinyl lettering/work.

They also make Rapid Tac, and Rapid Prep. If you use the Remover, the Rapid Tac is the neutralizer for it. So you can wipe it clean, then wipe it with rapid tac and it's good to go. You don't have to use the rapid tac, but if left on or wiped too hard, it will begin to take the color off the surface.

But it's wonderful stuff. I use it daily for sticky edges on plastic. It makes them not sticky.

Any sign supply store will carry it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Engrave from bottom to top
    or
    Engrave two pass

or do like Scott said.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

I do bottom up, and I don't need two passes. The sign is lovely until I go to wipe it off.
    So, I've stopped wiping. But I know the dust will get back into the white, and smudge it up.
    I've just ordered some rapid remover for another app.
    We'll see if it helps.
    Thanks, y'all!

Try also 3M Citrus Cleaner - work extremely well, but cost $$$
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Barb

I take the engraved signs etc to a sink and wash them with soap and water and brush. Get them wet first to keep the engraving residue in suspension then use a medium bristle brush to clean. Do not use a rag or sponge.

You'll still have to buff them but the residue will be gone and can't color the white area.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sounds way too much like housework to me
    Sinks, water, cleaning, brushes.
    blech.

Thanks, Mike, I knew it was an option, I just wanted to ignore it.

Barb,
    I don't use Rowmark, but I use IPI...pretty much the same thing. I had the same problem and solved it by simply 'turning off the air assist'. Without the air assist there is virtually 'no' clean up required.
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Etch from the bottom up with the air assist off. Use DNA to wipe clean and use a good quality pencil eraser for any additional residue.

Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    Etch from the bottom up with the air assist off. Use DNA to wipe clean and use a good quality pencil eraser for any additional residue.
    What Chris said minus the pencil eraser, and I use WD40 instead of DNA.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Etching is not my problem but cutting out the etched piece is. Esp on colours like red, I find a 2nd quick bottom-up raster does wonders.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

When I have problem colors such as red/white letters I use magic eraser. Works very well and is quick to use, then I rinse under the tap.
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

It does sound like some people are going to way too much trouble. I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner (from Costco) prior to engraving, polish dry. I have never had any color transfer onto the white letters after doing that.

I discovered this because I had several cans, using it for cleaning vehicles before applying vinyl lettering (contains no ammonia) and wanted something to get rid of the dull image of the Rowmark logos left by the protective film.

i agree with the Rapid Remover Scott mentioned, especially for cleaning the edges after cutting, but this stuff is WAY cheaper.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have had a few times when I cleaned rowmark with DNA or WD-40 and managed to get colored dust into the white area. No matter what I did to scrub and clean it out, it had settled in. Then I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That removed all the residue in the white engraved area.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I have had a few times when I cleaned rowmark with DNA or WD-40 and managed to get colored dust into the white area. No matter what I did to scrub and clean it out, it had settled in. Then I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That removed all the residue in the white engraved area.

It is awesome stuff isn't Mike! Works like a charm for me.
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies