Thread: Just waiting on some vises from Benchcrafted

Just waiting on some vises from Benchcrafted

I started this bench a few months back after being inspired by Jameel's Roubo. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
    The top is Euro Beech , was cheaper than soft maple? and was my first choice. base is poplar with the rest of the bench being made up of various scraps from around the shop, Pecan , hickory, walnut , birch ,hard and soft maple, zebra wood.
    I spent a bit of time tweaking the sliding leg vise and it works quite well. I ended up mounting a 1-3/8" bearing on a 1/2" steel rod through a steel support plate to reduce some of the binding of the screw and nut. I also milled a recess for the bearing into the back of the chop so the vise can close all the way. The parallel guide slides in a groove below the table , this leaves the shelf below relatively clear for a cab with draws below the screw height to be added later.
    After many years of not having a real bench this is quite an improvement. I used both power tools and hand tools to build it. The top lamination's are all face jointed and flattened with a #8, Dove tails are hand cut. The joinery for the base is a little over the top, I just love through tenons with wedges as you can see. the tenons are all cut with the band saw, mortises with HCM. The mortises are all flared a couple of degrees with a guide block and chisels with the tenons receiving a slice on the band saw to receive the wedges.The two long stretchers are draw bored as well. The top is secured to the base with angle iron and lags through elongated holes to allow for movement. The metal strips are mortised in above and below the guide slot to minimize marring of the poplar from the pin. thanks for looking.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. I'm jealous!

Ditto with what Aaron said. I'm also jealous of how big your shop looks. What size is it???
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Joe and Aaron,

Thanks, total shop space is 2600 Sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    Joe and Aaron,

Thanks, total shop space is 2600 Sq ft.
    Wow! I'm in 310 sq feet! My house is only 1500!!!!

I really like the bench.

Joe , Let me clear things up .
    I am a one man shop cabinet maker /wanna be woodworker, I make a living from this space. My shop is 100 yds from my home. I spend 10 hours a day in here on average 7 days a week, I love what I do although I will never become wealthy from my career choice I have no regrets. I am not some rich guy with a big shop, just your average Joe thoroughly enjoying working with my hands. I wish all of you had the space I have. Thanks for looking ,
    Tom

That is an excellent bench.....beautiful joinery....knock-out GOOD!!

Sliding vise is very cool -- What a BENCH INDEED!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    Joe , Let me clear things up .
    I am a one man shop cabinet maker /wanna be woodworker, I make a living from this space. My shop is 100 yds from my home. I spend 10 hours a day in here on average 7 days a week, I love what I do although I will never become wealthy from my career choice I have no regrets. I am not some rich guy with a big shop, just your average Joe thoroughly enjoying working with my hands. I wish all of you had the space I have. Thanks for looking ,
    Tom
    Well I figured that was probably your business. Even most rich guys don't have a shop that big

Just blown away by the space, that's all.

Lovely bench. I really like the idea of using the roller to support some weight of the chop/screw. How well does it work for you? How close do you get to being able to 'spin' the vise?

Tri, It will not spin like the benchcraft type. It dose make using this type of screw a lot more pleasant and is relatively inexpensive to do.
    If I did it again I think I would use two bearings and mount them below the screw 22 degrees off center to in effect cradle the screw. There would still be plenty of room for vertical clamping.Thanks,
    Tom

Tom that looks great! I'm in the process of building one too, now I think I'll use it for firewood after seeing your's.
    Thanks...Bob

Blog Entries
    I had the opportunity to see a bench that Jameel had at the Woodworkers in America symposium. It was the finest bench I've ever seen. Looks like you've done just as well for yourself. Beautiful job my friend. It should always give you a good feeling every time you use it. Definitely a project you can be proud of. Way to go.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks to all ,
    Just hope I added some inspiration, seeing as I find a lot here.

Tom