Thread: How to handle logs with no bark?

How to handle logs with no bark?

I have a very large Maple that several big trunks have fallen vicim to a wind storm several years ago. The main trunks are supported off the ground by a large limb. The diameter of the largest trunk is approx. 30"-38". The issue I have is the bark is starting to fall off the trunk.
    Question is: How should I handle this wood of the bark is coming off it?
    My Grandson and I went down there the other day and looked at it so I was able to get a good look at what is going on with this Maple.
    Thanks,
    Bill

I think I would treat it like green wood - cut it up into billets, then half and/or quarter them through the pith, then anchorseal all surfaces - ends, inside, and outside. Then, get to rough turning some bowls!

2nd Steve idea

Bill usually when the bark falls off the wood will start to severely degrade, the sun and wing have free spell with the wood and it will split badly if it not already has done so.
    Get it down and out of the sun and wind and seal the ends.
    I'd try to use it now, however if you are unable to do so leave it in as long pieces as you are able to, as end checks on one piece will be a couple of inches on either end, cut into more pieces and now the same checks will be on every piece you make :-0
    Have fun and take care