Thread: Not A Gloat

Not A Gloat

Certainly not intended as a gloat, but have had a decent couple of days and wanted to share. One of "my" two local galleries has closed, but the same day arranged to place some of my work at another small gallery where they sent me. Gifted them (at closing gallery) with a small mesquite vase in appreciation for their representing my work for the past two years. Received three more pear logs from my friend's friend (now my friend too) and gifted him with a small (7") oak dish/bowl for jewelry or maybe nuts and bolts (he rehabs neat old woodworking machinery).

No check from the other gallery, so decided to visit my turnings there. Learned that he has sold two of my ribbon forms, two hollow forms, and something else. Just a little behind on book keeping, but he will go prod the boss to get me paid. Expect a check shortly, after which have a couple more "artsy" pieces for them. So, onward to check out a new co-op gallery. Nice work there but maybe not a good fit for my stuff. Turning the truck around when its brakes automatically locked beside some logs from two large, recently cut hackberry trees. Back to the co-op to learn the ownership of said logs. Seems that the "city" had cut down the trees this morning, and artist working the gallery helped me load two small logs into my truck. My day is going unusually well so far, but not over yet.

Returned late this afternoon to the scene of the trees with chainsaw and helper (my wife, who is stronger and in better condition than I). Truck brakes locked up at the same spot, beside the logs (it knew the chainsaw was behind my seat). We managed to cut and load a couple of the larger pieces and one more smaller log. Got the wood home and log ends sealed. Helped unload bags of mulch from wife's truck for her flower beds. A round of anticipitory pain pills for all and a beer for me. It was a pretty decent couple of days.

BTW if you are nearby and have a big saw and a really strong helper, there are two good stump sections and a few more good logs. Thanks for reading this and hope you enjoyed it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard - sounds like you had an eventful day! Congrats on your sales and on unexpectedly finding some good wood! Hope this is the start of many more 'good' days for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

"Not a gloat" - must be opposite day, as the kids used to say. Sounds like you are living right!

Sounds great Richard and congrats on the sales.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, it all sounds pretty much like a successful couple of days - so, I say "good gloat" even if you think not!!

Thanks guys. Appreciate your support.
    Richard in Wimberley

Selling work, finding wood, having a wife that will help you cut and load wood. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks Curt. You're right. I really must work on maintaining a more positive attitude all the time. Am probably having a lot of good days and don't even recognize them.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard, you are living right

Thanks Charlie.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Certainly not intended as a gloat, but have had a decent couple of days and wanted to share. One of "my" two local galleries has closed, but the same day arranged to place some of my work at another small gallery where they sent me. Gifted them (at closing gallery) with a small mesquite vase in appreciation for their representing my work for the past two years. Received three more pear logs from my friend's friend (now my friend too) and gifted him with a small (7") oak dish/bowl for jewelry or maybe nuts and bolts (he rehabs neat old woodworking machinery).

No check from the other gallery, so decided to visit my turnings there. Learned that he has sold two of my ribbon forms, two hollow forms, and something else. Just a little behind on book keeping, but he will go prod the boss to get me paid. Expect a check shortly, after which have a couple more "artsy" pieces for them. So, onward to check out a new co-op gallery. Nice work there but maybe not a good fit for my stuff. Turning the truck around when its brakes automatically locked beside some logs from two large, recently cut hackberry trees. Back to the co-op to learn the ownership of said logs. Seems that the "city" had cut down the trees this morning, and artist working the gallery helped me load two small logs into my truck. My day is going unusually well so far, but not over yet.

Returned late this afternoon to the scene of the trees with chainsaw and helper (my wife, who is stronger and in better condition than I). Truck brakes locked up at the same spot, beside the logs (it knew the chainsaw was behind my seat). We managed to cut and load a couple of the larger pieces and one more smaller log. Got the wood home and log ends sealed. Helped unload bags of mulch from wife's truck for her flower beds. A round of anticipitory pain pills for all and a beer for me. It was a pretty decent couple of days.

BTW if you are nearby and have a big saw and a really strong helper, there are two good stump sections and a few more good logs. Thanks for reading this and hope you enjoyed it.
    Richard, That was a good "gloat". For those of you that don't know about Wimberly,Texas, it is one of the most beautiful areas of Texas. It is on the edge of the "Hill Country" and sort of an enclave of artists. There are some of the best artists in Texas that call Wimberly home. There is a glass works in Wimberly that is top notch. There is a place in Wimberly that makes probably the best rocking chair available. Richard is a very lucky man to live and work in Wimberly and thanks for sharing. Greg

Thanks Greg. Where are you located? Appreciate the plug for our little town. That fellow at the Wimberley Glass Works has pieces in collections and art galleries all over the world.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Thanks Greg. Where are you located? Appreciate the plug for our little town. That fellow at the Wimberley Glass Works has pieces in collections and art galleries all over the world.
    I am in Port Lavaca,TX which is just north of one of the best fishing ports on the Texas coast. I have been to the Glass Works and it is amazing. I have wanted a Gary Weeks rocker for years. I have family in New Braunfels and we visit your town often. You live in one of the best places in Texas, it is beautiful. Richard, I am new here but I plan to stick around for quite a while. I bought a Oneway lathe and I am planning to make some chips. Greg

Hey Gary, happy new lathe. That's a good one. Feel free to come by for a shop visit some time. Just let me know when you will be in the area.
    Richard in Wimberley