Thread: Cedar oil characteristics

Cedar oil characteristics

I bought my first can of cedar oil and got it open and wow,,, it stunk worse than anything has ever stunk before... It smells just like the can... no cedar smell to it whatsoever... Is this normal? I went ahead and applied it to a small piece of cedar and needless to say it never has started to smell like cedar...

any input on this subject would be just awesome.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I bought my first can of cedar oil and got it open and wow,,, it stunk worse than anything has ever stunk before... It smells just like the can... no cedar smell to it whatsoever... Is this normal? I went ahead and applied it to a small piece of cedar and needless to say it never has started to smell like cedar...

any input on this subject would be just awesome.
    I didn't even know they made cedar oil for wood. Can you tell me where you bought it and what brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    I didn't even know they made cedar oil for wood. Can you tell me where you bought it and what brand?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...px?prodid=3899
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If you want cedar oil, may I suggest you try a health food/natural living store, or you may want to do a Google search? I'd recommend you buy cedar "essential" oil and make sure you're getting 100% pure stuff. Most of the cheaper brands are cut with almond oil or even water. Here's one link for you:
    http://www.anandaapothecary.com/arom...ntial-oil.html

Give it a try keeping in mind the old adage, YMMV.

I'm not sure what true Cedar Oil smells like.

Aromatic Cedar (Eastern Red Cedar) is actually in the Juniper family. That fact has been mentionod on every woodworking forum every time the subject of ERC is mentioned. In addition, Western Red Cedar is actually a Cypress.

I've read that Alaskan Cedar does not have a pleasant odor. Then there's White Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Spanish Cedar...probably lots of Cedars with different aromas.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

Thanks, but I did google it as soon as I saw the post. Found that source as well as many others. I wonder what the OP bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post

got it at woodcraft and the brand is giles and kendal it states on the back of the can "100 percent natural oil of eastern redcedar wood
    Last edited by Karl Card; 04-05-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I'm not sure what true Cedar Oil smells like.

Aromatic Cedar (Eastern Red Cedar) is actually in the Juniper family. That fact has been mentionod on every woodworking forum every time the subject of ERC is mentioned. In addition, Western Red Cedar is actually a Cypress.

I've read that Alaskan Cedar does not have a pleasant odor. Then there's White Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Spanish Cedar...probably lots of Cedars with different aromas.

the can specifically states eastern redcedar wood... so I would assume that is eastern redcedar, not spanish, not western, not alaskan etc..