Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIDGID DC4-1 Dust Collector meets Trashcan

RIDGID DC4-1 Dust Collector meets Trashcan

I thought I'd share some photos of my duct collector. Basically it's a RIDGID DC4-1, with several mods, connected to a Thien-design separator. Or, as I refer to it, a pimped-out trashcan

It works beyond my expectations, barely any dust now gets to the bag. Some features:

Shortened 5" pipe between the blower and bag assy
    Smooth walled pipe between the blower and bag assy
    Thien Separator
    Polished surfaces in the separator
    Raised trashcan to make it easy to empty - the bag was a pain.
    Weatherstrip around the circumference of the lid - perfect seal

Next up will be either a Wynn filter (the skinny one, bigger surface area), or possibly just exterior vent, the Thien works so well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done! I've done a similar mod to my HFDC:

One question for you: how do you remove the trash can when you've got a rigid pipe leading from the DC to the lid?

I've never seen so much rigid stuff in one place. Do you work for the BORG?

It's like a Ridgid advertisement. Where's the Ridgid jointer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    It's like a Ridgid advertisement. Where's the Ridgid jointer?
    It's just behind the planer...

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hoehn View Post
    Nicely done! I've done a similar mod to my HFDC:

One question for you: how do you remove the trash can when you've got a rigid pipe leading from the DC to the lid?
    Nice job yourself!

I raised the whole thing 12", so the can drops below the Thien lid. It's held up by ratchet straps. Need some orange ones

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    It's just behind the planer...
    and where is the Bandsaw?

BTW, I also use my TS3550 as an out feed table for my R4511.
    My TS 3550 holds a Triton 3.25 HP router (Orange as well). I keep my Thickness Planer to the right of the R4511 (where one might add a router) and the Jointer is on the left side. I chose this orientation to align the dust ports and eliminate excessive ducts. Only one hose runs across the room to the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Campos View Post
    and where is the Bandsaw?
    It's to the left...

I like your arrangement ideas. However, I may well be moving house soon, so all change!

but where did you get the ridgid DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    but where did you get the ridgid DC?
    Check the original posting date and the model number...

I confess, it's a Harbor Freight DC. Nothing a couple of cans of Krylon couldn't turn into a little joke though

For Tony and Ben, yes, my shop is almost exclusively RIDGID. No I don't work for Home Depot, but clearly I've spent some time in there. I just found their sale prices too good to pass up. I have not bought anything at full sticker price.

My approximate scores: 3 tablesaws (2x R4511, 1x TS3660, $783 total), R4330 planer ($300), BS14002 Bandsaw ($184), JP601 jointer ($199), DP15XX ($250), 6" sander ($110), 2x 1/4 sheet sanders ($23 ea), and a router combo ($140). Less than $2000 for a reasonably well equipped shop, all of the above with a lifetime service agreement. Sure some of the tools could be better, but a) they are a league above Ryobi etc, b) they will be fixed or replaced for free, c) they were so cheap I could get out of any of the major tools for more than I paid and d) I like the color matching

Perfectly stated Hugh!

I am not sure if I have any Orange stuff in shop myself but that is a matter of me never ever finding a thing on sale when I am in the store.
    That jointer here, with loads of surface rust and needing blades fetched $300 used all day long on CL. Then I hear of dudes like you and I am envious as he!! at what you got for prices paid.

Many buddies of mine have the same colored shops and love the things they have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    Check the original posting date and the model number...

I confess, it's a Harbor Freight DC. Nothing a couple of cans of Krylon couldn't turn into a little joke though

For Tony and Ben, yes, my shop is almost exclusively RIDGID. No I don't work for Home Depot, but clearly I've spent some time in there. I just found their sale prices too good to pass up. I have not bought anything at full sticker price.

My approximate scores: 3 tablesaws (2x R4511, 1x TS3660, $783 total), R4330 planer ($300), BS14002 Bandsaw ($184), JP601 jointer ($199), DP15XX ($250), 6" sander ($110), 2x 1/4 sheet sanders ($23 ea), and a router combo ($140). Less than $2000 for a reasonably well equipped shop, all of the above with a lifetime service agreement. Sure some of the tools could be better, but a) they are a league above Ryobi etc, b) they will be fixed or replaced for free, c) they were so cheap I could get out of any of the major tools for more than I paid and d) I like the color matching
    Fooled me

Nice job shopping

Me too. Yep - great job shopping too.

And the painter in you is the icing on the tool.

Okay, I have the paint figured out. (Krylon Orange) but WHERE did you get the bag with the Ridgid logo?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

re bandsaw

Hugh,
    That looks like a nice solid table under your bandsaw. Did it help reduce the vibration? I ask because I have a Rigid saw, although it is pre-orange. Paul