Thread: Bacote Paper clip bowl & matching pen

Bacote Paper clip bowl & matching pen

I tried my hand at making a small bowl and this one looked like it needed at matching pen to be used on a desk to hold paper clips or small sticky note pads. I would appreciate all comments and advice to improve. I know the pictures leave a lot to desire, but what can you do if you can't take decent pictures. Thanks for the critique and for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very attractive pieces. Well done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

that grain is cool.
    The only suggestion i have is that you should add a side profile picture of the bowl.
    every thing looks great.

It is 4 3/4" x 1 7/8" and thin as i dared.I am just starting to do bowl's this is the 6th or 7th that made it to finish have lot's of fire wood.

Fantastic piece of bocote and a nice bowl and pen to boot.

Very nice bowls.I love the wood.
    Donny

The wood is very highly figured for sure.No where near John Keaton but working on it.

Very nice work! Having not worked with Bocote before, which of the pics is more the actual color? They both look nice, but the first pic is much warmer looking.

John it is the same pice i am not very good at taking pic's.The grain pattern is just crazy in this whole board.

That is a nice pen and the grain in the bowl is a standout!

Thank's Baxter the frist pic is what the bowl really look's like.

Robert,
    That's a great looking small bowl.

You could easily improve your photos with a bit of practice. Try using a white background, as this will help get the white balance right. A double layer of old white sheet works well. The white balance is seriously amiss in one or both photos. Using the same bowl and same lighting, try different white balance settings (daylight, incandescent, fluorescent, etc.) on your camera to see which gives the most realistic color. And then do not crop the photos so close, but leave a bit of white space around the subject to "frame" it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Great looking wood! Nice combination of turnings!

Richard pretty much nailed the first things to be concerned with - background and white balance. Get those under control first - then you can start working on focus, angles, etc.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!