Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Old bandsaw exchange...aka I'm done playing!

New Old bandsaw exchange...aka I'm done playing!

So a few months back I got a CL deal on a power feed from a fellow with an interesting story. His father had a stoke just before retirement, he had a pile of great tools that he was assembling as his retirement shop. Some of these the son is keeping, some he was selling to help his father financially. The feeder was his first sale item, and when I went to pick it up, I spied a large BS in the corner and asked "Is that for sale?"

Well, the gentleman was a bit ambivalent on the subject. He had no experience with the BS, sort of thought he wanted one, his father needed money more than he needed the saw, the saw was a bit large for his shop, he wasn't sure. This is a 10 year old but never even used once 20" HD Meber 500. Meber used to make saws for both Minimax and Laguna I'm told.

So I offered my 14" PM BS in trade, plus $1K for his father, I do all the delivery and set my saw up in his shop so he can see how it works, a sort of quick BS primer. SOLD.

The picks say it all. Its big. Its Italian. Its beautiful. Its powerful. It passed the nickel test after a quick set up. It sets up perfectly. I met a great guy, we both got good saws that we can use, his father gets some needed financial stimulus. Everybody wins!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang.... he certainly got the .... end of the stick on that one.... That saw is worth upwards of 2k... closer to 3k+(if its Laguana quality(or atleast the price tag)....

I feel bad for his father.... compiles a set of fine tools... then has a stroke, causing his son to sell them off on him.... sucks to be him...

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    Dang.... he certainly got the .... end of the stick on that one.... That saw is worth upwards of 2k... closer to 3k+(if its Laguana quality(or atleast the price tag)....

I feel bad for his father.... compiles a set of fine tools... then has a stroke, causing his son to sell them off on him.... sucks to be him...
    I feel bad for his father too. I gathered the father wanted the son, also a wood worker and professional carpenter, to inherit the machines, but the son was selling the items of greater value to raise money to help the father in his retirement. The father tried rehabilitation, but had come to the realization that he was not gong to be fit to go back into the shop. The son hated to sell the tools but told me he could not keep them in good conscience considering his fathers fixed income situation.

I figured the saw was worth around $2000 given the 3HP motor and lack of warranty or support, but it is one hell of a machine in terms of build quality. Heavy too! I could eat dinner on one side of the table while some one cuts wood on the other!

It's a whopper! You should be able to cut whatever you want with that!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    It's a whopper! You should be able to cut whatever you want with that!

t
    Yes he should... Do you think if I send him my ex-girlfriend he could make some steaks out of her?

Yes he should... Do you think if I send him my ex-girlfriend he could make some steaks out of her?
    But I just cleaned it! I was a chef for a number of years though, and I'm a pretty good fabricator....hey wait, that's sick!

ummm ummm

YOU SUCK

Enjoy your Italian stallion!

You ReallyReallyReally SUCK! ENJOY the LAST BANDSAW you will ever NEED!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Peter,

Great saw deal you've got. Just one thing, Meber's are sold in the US by
    Laguna and Centuaro is sold by Minimax.

Best of luck with your new Italian beauty, get yourself a Lennox carbide blade and get cutting.

Rye Crane

Do you think if I send him my ex-girlfriend he could make some steaks out of her?

lol!!

Blog Entries
    Yep, Van beat me to it:

Bill Murray You Suck.jpg

Congrats on a great saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Peter,

That is a great looking saw. I am sure you will enjoy. What type of blade are you going to put on it?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yep, Van beat me to it:

Bill Murray You Suck.jpg

Congrats on a great saw.
    He couldda sucked more though, this could have been the Meber he got. Imagine the sticker shock on a carbide band for that sucker!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    He couldda sucked more though, this could have been the Meber he got. Imagine the sticker shock on a carbide band for that sucker!
    I'm thinking about one, should go in the basement no problem. What mobile base would you get?

Nice pick-up on the "Italian Stallion" Peter... hope you don't regret getting rid of the 14". When I upgraded I kept mine and leave a 1/4" on it for curves. I realize the circumstance here dictating what you did but.. you would find it nice not to have to change blades when curve cuting and re-sawing.

Fantastic acquisition though...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler