Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: #31 "Magma"

#31 "Magma"

Woodcraft was having a sale with 25% discount on wood. I stopped in to buy some African Blackwood pen blanks for finials, and saw a piece of quilted maple. My first impression was that a dyed piece using black and red would look like fire. My experience with using dyes has not been great, but challenging enough to make me want to try it again.
    31-1.JPG31-2.JPG31-3.JPG31-4.JPG

This piece is 6" wide x 5.75" high. The walls are a little less than 1/4" thick. The finial is African Blackwood, and is 3/32" at the neck. The top accent bulb is undercut, as is the lower bulb - something not possible for me until I got my lighted magnifier for the lathe!! The finial is sanded to 2000 and waxed only.

I started with wipe on poly, but ended up going with lacquer on this piece, and it has given me fits. I was careless, and it stuck to my painted stool, and had to be reworked. I ended up with some lint in it, and it had to be reworked, and on and on..... I need to seriously address my finishing techniques, and, I need a buffing system - badly.

This old flatworker needs to realize that finishing round things, particularly things that are going to be inspected with scrutiny, requires different techniques!!

I also noticed that I failed to dust the piece before taking the pics - sorry! Just can't get it right with this one!

John, dust and all, that is an absolutely stunning piece there! I love it and your design is quite an inspiration.

Now John that is a beauty. I really like the finial and form on this one. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Another great piece John.I really like looking at your pieces.They add some inspiration to us all.
    Donny

Very nice, John. Your finial is exceptional.

I don't know how you do it, John. Just when I think I choose one of your pieces that I like the best, you come out with another that I like even more. Great work!

Matt

I think you need to have a talk with the maid.

Beautiful piece John, and I think you gave it a great name. The dye experiment went well. The form and final are great, as well.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Brian....we created a monster!

John....you did well my friend! I like everything about this one.....everything!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice John. A real eye catcher. Belongs in a display case for sure.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

John - exceptional work on this one! Love the darker color scheme as it is not something you see every day.

Very nice detail work on the finial! Looks like the magnifier makes a difference! I'll have to remember to give that a try - should I ever decide to try some detail work!

Overall - very nice work! You should be happy with this one - other than the dust!

Looking forward to seeing the next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Just beautiful John. Love the red and black. Looks like a keeper to me.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

All I could think of was "You're getting creative" but I guess that isn't really new! Looks great and my eyesight isn't good enough to see the dust!

Outstanding work John, no need to say more!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Very, very well done John. From form to finish, you just keep amazing me. As Steve said, The dark colors are a pleasing change from the majority. The precise detailing on the finial is spot on, I'm assuming in part from the lighted magnifier and maybe from steady personal development?
    P.S. If you've absorbed yourself in law the way you do in turning, I would really cringe being on the other side!

Very nice John, you are definitely a natural to the spinny world!