Thread: Marine Fir

Marine Fir

I've been asked to work with some kids building a 6-hour canoe http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/6hrcanoe.html. I know cheap stock is generally poor economy, but what about marine fir in lieu of BS1088 grade stock. (The guy I linked to used door skin!) Fir tends to check, but marine grade maybe less so...

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you, Ed

We used a/c fir all the time to build boats. That was about 25 years ago so I don't know what the quality is like as far as voids are concerned. Just seal the edges and it will last as long as anything else.

Ed,
    If it's for a charity or good cause, try hitting up a local lumber supplier for a couple sheets of good Marine Okume ply. I ran a wooden boat show a few years back and had no problem getting a couple sheets for a Pirogue we built, raffled off and gave the proceeds to local school district.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    I've been asked to work with some kids building a 6-hour canoe http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/6hrcanoe.html. I know cheap stock is generally poor economy, but what about marine fir in lieu of BS1088 grade stock. (The guy I linked to used door skin!) Fir tends to check, but marine grade maybe less so...

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you, Ed

Good cause, I'll buy that ($ in my pocket).

I just hate to have them spend a lot of money on 'good' stuff, if they will get adequate service from marine-grade fir. I seem to recollect more than a fair number of ply dinghies that were certainly not fancy, and I can't believe they were made of anything but fir ply.

Here's a tip. Buy the lesser grade fir ply and prior to finish coating, paint a layer of diluted Tightbond III on the surface. Shellac over that. Very water proof.
    fmr

Thank you!