Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I should have bought the Felder stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Going from "department store benchtop equipment" to Felder equipment is quite a large swing in the pendulum. I'm certain that there are plenty of offerings in the middle that are safe and effective to do our hobby with. For instance, I don't own any Felder equipment, and I don't feel unsafe as a result of this fact.

Also, I am curious as to what modifications that Bob made to his machines to improve safety that costed so much that a premium European brand would have been cheaper. Perhaps the folks here at SMC can offer lower cost alternatives/suggestions on how to improve safety on middle cost machinery. After all, SMC'ers are a clever bunch!

Lastly, I think everyone gradually upgrades their tools as they stay with the hobby. Nothing new here. My recommendation: don't fret over it, you're in good company. The good news is that the offerings today, versus 25 years ago, make 'smarter' equipment more accessible than ever before. I attribute this to the positive promotion of our hobby by woodworking TV shows and the free flowing knowledge on the internet.

-Jeff
    Jeff...

It's true that none of mods expense would ever come close to the price differential between a Delta anything and a Felder anything.

The point I was leading to was that Delta purchase left much to be desired as evidenced by the ongoing mods, the sum total of which left me far short of the satisfaction I believe I would have had over the past 15 years had I "bought the Feder stuff".

...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...she was aware of one machine that would be a significant improvement over hers. It retails for $10,000.."

OK, here's my advice. Get the Felder stuff. But up your budget by ten grand and get your sweetie than sewing machine at the same time. Just saying....
    David...

Your advice is pretty much the de facto plan, at this point.

...Bob

Bob, I tooled up my shop 16 years ago, about the same time you did. I used to hang out at use-net's rec.woodworking forum. The discussion and recommendations at the time never even mentioned the Euro-machines. I can add that practically all the woodworking magazines published at the time and since have not paid much attention to the Euro-machines. I think the general sentiment has been that they are for production shops. I would never have considered a Felder or MiniMax 16 years ago. You really were on the leading edge if it was a serious option for you at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    Bob, I tooled up my shop 16 years ago, about the same time you did. I used to hang out at use-net's rec.woodworking forum. The discussion and recommendations at the time never even mentioned the Euro-machines. I can add that practically all the woodworking magazines published at the time and since have not paid much attention to the Euro-machines. I think the general sentiment has been that they are for production shops. I would never have considered a Felder or MiniMax 16 years ago. You really were on the leading edge if it was a serious option for you at that time.
    Sean...

I think part of my "leading edge" position at the time was facilitated by living about 5 miles from the Felder showroom.

...Bob

I'm a newbie, never even seen a Felder unit up close.
    Checked out their site, looks like you have to register to view the prices.
    Anyone have a price list for some of their more common machines?

Hi Jeff, it's worth registering, they don't pester you.

Once you register you can also watch videos.

The long video of the FC741 is great, it can be downloaded to your computer.

Regards, Rod.

Hmmmm....just paid off all those fancy stainless appliances that my wife wanted so badly.....hmmmmmmm.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just a teaser.... One of the better days in recent memory.

If it's in your budget, you won't regret the Felder purchase.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Just Sayin'
    I like the way you guys think...

I also am looking at building my shop... I have put off buying any type of saw for the last 3 years.. I purchased all of Festool products over the last 3 years and have built my Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinets with inset doors along with a free standing 15 step stair case all of the above out of Hickory.. sure it was tough with my hand tools... but ... not as bad as a handsaw and chisel... Although, it would have went a heck of a lot easier had I have purchased a table saw...

SawStop was my choice... until I needed to look at a planer and then a jointer... soon I was looking at MiniMax. Then I saw it... FELDER... WOW!

I'm biting the bullet.. CF741SP with Variable Speed 5.0.... sweet....

The price is over the top, but as you guys say, BUY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD!. but I can't afford it !... so I am going to buy it anyway...
    I plan on doing this the rest of my life, and if I just cut a few boards a week, well.... they will be very sweet cuts....

btw, anybody want to buy a "cherry" 2000 Porsche 911 Cabriolet?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-16-2010 at 6:05 AM.

Sure, and I'll bet we'd all like to be driving a Maserati instead of that GM or Toyota, but when I'm driving through the redwoods over La Honda road on the way to the coast, I stop thinking about the tool I'm driving and enjoy the experience of the trip. Tool envy is like _ _ _ _ _ envy - there's always someone that's got a better (bigger) one. But like they say, it's not the size of the wand that counts, but the magician that uses it.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I agree the Felder stuff is at the top of the heap. However for me even though I am not a particularly old dog and actually love learning new tricks I just can't wrap me head around combo machines. I am planning a new shop ground up with all new tools but just can't give the combo stuff a chance even wth my love of quality and innovation. I am the guy that thinks you should own 1 router for each bit and one ROS for every grit. Even though I am a mere hobbyist the time spent changing things over takes precious time away from my pursuit. Jeez, I just remembered my worst "transgretion" in my old shop I had a RAS and 3 CSMS all in a line with a shared fence, each set up for different actions.

That all said I would never try to talk someone out of Felder, in fact just the opposite as long as they can wrap their head around the process of using combo machines, which I think is just a lack of vision (and intellect) on my part.

When I decided to get serious about my woodworking hobby, I started looking at the European machines. I first went to look at a Robland which was located less than a hundred miles away. I decided it was not the machine for me - I had already seen a Felder. I found a used Felder and bought it as soon as I saw it. That was 1989 and I used that machine for twelve years until I traded up for a newer used Felder combination machine. Since then I have traded twice; both times for separate saw/shaper and J/P and I now have the ultimate Felder set-up, IMO (I also like nice cars and have pursued that the same way). I have always bought used for about half the price of new and have never had a serious problem with any of the equipment or selling it for close to what it cost me. Felder is definitely up there with the best and I could not be happier with my choices. I feel the same as you about the Saw Stop as I never get close to the blade using the slider and in all those years never encountered a violent kickback.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I agree the Felder stuff is at the top of the heap. However for me even though I am not a particularly old dog and actually love learning new tricks I just can't wrap me head around combo machines. I am planning a new shop ground up with all new tools but just can't give the combo stuff a chance even wth my love of quality and innovation. I am the guy that thinks you should own 1 router for each bit and one ROS for every grit. Even though I am a mere hobbyist the time spent changing things over takes precious time away from my pursuit. Jeez, I just remembered my worst "transgretion" in my old shop I had a RAS and 3 CSMS all in a line with a shared fence, each set up for different actions.

That all said I would never try to talk someone out of Felder, in fact just the opposite as long as they can wrap their head around the process of using combo machines, which I think is just a lack of vision (and intellect) on my part.
    Well if you have the space and the budget, you can have the best of both worlds and buy individual Felder machines. I have to admit, that would be an incredible shop.

For me, the space and budget are the issue so I went with a jointer/planer and a saw/shaper.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Even though I am a mere hobbyist the time spent changing things over takes precious time away from my pursuit. Jeez, I just remembered my worst "transgretion" in my old shop I had a RAS and 3 CSMS all in a line with a shared fence, each set up for different actions.
    Good point. On the other hand, I've not found the changeovers to be any significant impediment on the Felder. The only one of any significance would be the saw to shaper changeover which requires you to put the fence back on. Since the fence holds all your previous settings, I don't imagine that will be a problem although it does require more work. The jointer to planer and back changeover with the Powerdrive takes about 10 seconds and has been a complete nonissue.

For me, recognizing the downsides of a combo machine, the space available dictated that decision. As it turns out, I'm very happy with the tradeoff and even in my small space now have room to work again comfortably.

When I bought my SawStop I had never seen a "European style" saw. If I had that choice back then and knew more about Felder and the other brands I may have bought one of them instead of my "American" style table saw. Hindsight is always something that haunts us. For now, and perhaps the rest of my life, I'll enjoy the SawStop. As Jim Becker said,

The bottom line is invest in the best quality tools you can afford and don't look back. Sometimes that means you may change something later and increase your investment...when you can...but in the mean time, you got all that wonderful experience and had an enjoyable time.
    Like him I enjoyed my old saw from the same "department store" for many years. It served me well for that time. Due to circumstances and an understanding wife I was able to upgrade it. It sounds like you're very fortunate to have the same support from your wife.

My advice is to enjoy it while you can. Make your choice sooner rather than later. And, make sure to thank your wife.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps