Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mdf core ply or vc ply

That's interesting, Sean, I've never seen that product. It might solve the issue of no grain strength with ordinary mdf, while, hopefully, not warping like so much vc.

On let's say a 3/4" panel, how thick would the inner veneers layer be?

Just put a new top on my drawing table. I used 3/4 inch MDO (medium density overlay) plywood for the top. It's an excellent drawing surface and the ply is quite strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    My local supplier carries a combo-core product that uses veneers for the central core and then has a layer of MDF beneath the outer veneer. The MDF layer assures a very smooth substrate for the outer veneer. It also weighs less than an all-MDF core plywood. I've used combo-core plywood for case goods and I do like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    That's interesting, Sean, I've never seen that product. It might solve the issue of no grain strength with ordinary mdf, while, hopefully, not warping like so much vc.

There are two companies producing such a product (probably more) Columbia and Norboard come to mind. Columbia produces Classic Core and Norboard produced FX. Both products can be bought with or without the a veneered layer on the outside. So you can have a lighter flatter substrate for doing a nice paint job. This is important as you go beyond satin. If you go to gloss I would still use straight MDF as the cores of the combo board can still show large waves.

MDF Core is great for built-ins, etc., but I'd go with the VC for your stated project. Lighter in weight, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    My local supplier carries a combo-core product that uses veneers for the central core and then has a layer of MDF beneath the outer veneer. The MDF layer assures a very smooth substrate for the outer veneer. It also weighs less than an all-MDF core plywood. I've used combo-core plywood for case goods and I do like it.
    My supplier carries this same product and calls it "gold ply" which might be what Andrews supplier was suggesting. It is a great product, sort of a best of both worlds. I enjoy working with it. There is a product line that is a solid MDF core with veneers applied which I avoid at all costs.
    I take big parts, cut them into little parts, and glue back into big parts.

The circle of life.

Frank, I searched my shop looking for a piece of scrap to photograph and measure the inner core, but I could find any and I'm not using any for my current projects. Sorry I don't have that information.

Just look at any normal plywood, it is comparable to that. The outer layers are replace by MDF instead of veneer core. Then it is veneered with your choice of species.