Thread: Carcass to legs joinery

Carcass to legs joinery

I would like to build a vanity similar to the one in this picture. I am struggling with how to join the plywood carcass to the solid legs.

I am just finishing up with a similar build, but the carcass wasn't nearly as big (started about halfway up the legs) so I was able to notch out the unseen corners of the legs and set the carcass in it and attach with glue and screws, then attach solid edging to the plywood edges of the carcass to bring it out flush with the legs. It worked well in that design but for some reason I don't think that's a good way to go for this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a rank beginner. Assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

If I wanted to accomplish that, I would consider mortising the legs where the full size of the plywood was the tenon. If I wanted the plywood flush to the legs, I'd consider the same kind of joinery, but use a through mortise (I don't think this is the right word, but hopefully you know what I mean).

Hopefully someone will now pop in to say why my approach won't work and you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Frame and panel construction:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

4. I agree with Glenn. Use the plywood just like a panel in frame and panel construction. This has the advantage of covering all the raw plywood edges, and since the ply is pretty stable, you won't have to leave your Dados oversized. It also allows you to attach the faceframe to the legs with M/T joints. As wide as this vanity is, I'd consider putting a leg in the middle in the back, which makes the back panels smaller and easier to deal with.
    Last edited by Bill Melidones; 04-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.

Buy a Kreg pocket hole jig. The best buy IMHO is the K3 master kit which lists for $149 and is currently on sale at woodcraft for $139 incl 500 pan head screws having a value of 19. You can buy smaller Kreg kits for around $50

Amazingly simple to use and ideal for any right angle connection plywood or framing wood.

Best would be frame and panel. Easiest would be biscuits for alignment and pocket screws/glue to hold it there forever.

plus 1 on the pocket hole system. I use a Kreg system, but from what I read here there are others just as effective.