Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffing wood

I bought the Don Pencil system after having the Beal 3 on one shaft system (worked good for pens and very small objects, but not bowls). The 8" shaft that fits on the headstock gets the wheel out to point you can do the exterior of most bowls and other objects, and with the bowl buffs you can get in about 10" on a hollow form. Don now has a 12" shaft that I just bought and plan to use on some large hollow forms and bowls. I actually have the 8" in 1 1/4" and 1" thread and use the wheels on my Powermatic and bowl buffs on my Jet Mini to eliminate changing and being able to buff inside and outside faster. I bought a new wheel for tripoli but have not used it yet and it is wider and looks like it will speed up buffing. I have used the white diamond only on a limited basis due to it leaving white spots on some woods/finish. I buff with tripoli usually before applying oil, between every coat, and light buffing after final coat before application of Renaisance wax that is buffed with waxs wheel.

Lots of good advice

Mike,

You've received lots of good advice. Allow me to summarize and then add one more thought:
    • Both Beal and Don Pencil make good systems. I think they are similar in quality.
    • The three-wheels-on-a-shaft design is convenient for small items like pens and small boxes. This design is a royal pain for use with larger items -- like even relatively small bowls.
    • Many turners prefer using Renaissance wax over carnuba wax with the final wheel. Renaissance wax resists water spotting and does not show fingerprints. Note: One expert, Russ Fairfield, suggests carnuba wax can be just as resistant to water spotting as is Renaissance wax if the caruba wax is buffed thin enough. He suggests using a stiff brush (like a shoe brush) to do this. You were given a link to his wax discussion, above.
    The additional thought: There are options besides the standard three wheels. Just over a year ago, Don Pencil introduced a lacquer/plastic buffing compound and wheel. (Some of the other vendors have recently brought out something similar.) Several of us on the Creek have tried the lacquer/plastic buffing compound and have been impressed by it. For film finishes like lacquer and polyurathance, or for plastics such as acrylic pen blanks, this new compound does a great job. Don Pencil's stuff can be found, here: http://donpencil.com/
    Last edited by David Walser; 04-28-2010 at 3:13 AM.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Wow, this is fantastic. Just what I was looking for! Thanks a million, guys, and don't hesitate to keep 'em coming...

One question I have about buffing on finishes... I have seen, in this thread, that you can buff poly, laquer, and oil finishes. Do you buff before, after, or both when using finishes other than wax? So, in other words, do you sand, apply finish, then buff? Or can/do you buff (as a way to sand/smooth the project), then apply finish? I am concerned/curious as to how well finishes (poly/laquer? will hold after using tripoli and white diamond compounds.

Thanks for your advice. This is amazingly helpful.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks, David. You may have just answered my question above. So, for buffing polly and laquer, you want to use the compounds made for plastics? Which brand/color do you use? I was at a store and they had probably 6 or 8 kinds of compound that were for metal/plastic?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Thanks, David. You may have just answered my question above. So, for buffing polly and laquer, you want to use the compounds made for plastics? Which brand/color do you use? I was at a store and they had probably 6 or 8 kinds of compound that were for metal/plastic?
    Mike,

You don't need to use anything but the standard Tripoli/white diamond compounds for poly and lacquer finishes. However, the compounds made for plastics have a finer grit than white diamond and will produce a higher gloss. I use the compound from Don Pencil and like it fine. I've not tried the others. I know several turners that use a liquid plastic/paint polish from the auto parts store (several different brands). It works well.

Good luck!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I get compound and wheels from http://www.caswellplating.com/. Good prices and a good selection.

Great information! Beall and Don Pencil are interchangeable. I concur about getting the shaft extenion for use with either the polishing wheels or buff balls.

Looks like there are some accessory items that I might need from Don. Now just need to find where to store them.

Don't let a piece get away from you...

If you have some patience to use whatever you decide on ahead of a prized piece...try it out on a small test piece with a decent sanded and even sealed piece. Be sure it has some defineable 'edges' too. You need to get a feel for what happens when you let the wheel overtake an edge...and get ripped from your hands.
    The option...is don't ever let it happen...but I'm glad I know what to expect. I don't know about the Don Pencil design, but the Beall recommends spinning at 1200 RPM or so, which provides pretty good torque even for a cloth wheel.

I say this with all seriousness intended, and wear a faceshield as well, if nothing more than to protect yourself from alot of 'early' fiber release you'll get, even after dressing the wheels with sandpaper.

I got lucky with a nice piece that got ripped from my hands when I let an edge get caught by the wheel...the piece wasn't destroyed...and I wasn't hurt.

As to finishes, I think most posters and responders will have more experience than I do, but I've had pretty good success with sealing my piece prior to finishing using shellac based sealers, Mylands, etc. I've done the poly route and then finished also...again, quite nice. Experiment a bit, finishing has so many facets to it...I'll be learning this side of the craft for years to come as well.

Good luck and have fun. Oh, one last thing I found...the tripoli helps get out some of very finest sanding lines that you may not have otherwise been able to get out yet, either because of grits you have, the wood, or your methods. I like to buff in an opposition direction to how I turned also...again to blend out sanding lines.

Now I've got to go get and try the Renaissance Wax...geez...learning is expensive...something else I have to try.

So how does one "unload" an already used wax wheel loaded with carnuba so it can be used for Renissance Wax? And I'm assuming that you wipe the Ren wax onto the piece with a soft cloth, let glaze then buff off? Or do you somehow load the buffing wheel with Ren wax and buff like it was carnuba?

i buff most of my turnings including bowls. I have a Don Pencil buffing system it is almost the same as the Beall. You can find him by doing a google search. However he offers a plastic or acylic buffing compond that I use to buff after i apply a finish such as Poly or lacquer. It works well. also ditto on the three wheel system i went with the single wheel arbor due to the closesness of the wheels.

Good advice so far. I use both the Beall system and Don Pencil's PL compound and wheel for lacquered items. I use his spindle adapter and buff right on the lathe. I used to use the Beall adapter on a grinder, but I find that the slower speed works better and I now use that space on the grinder for honing. The wheels all use the same size bolt and interchange on the adapter. Don't use sewn wheels as they tend to be too hard. They are designed for metal buffing.

MAKE SURE THAT LACQUER IS CURED BEFORE BUFFING. I needs at least a week, more is better, same for poly. If not completely cured, the heat will pull it right off the item. On the other hand, friction cured oil finishes can go right to the buffer.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Finch View Post
    So how does one "unload" an already used wax wheel loaded with carnuba so it can be used for Renissance Wax? And I'm assuming that you wipe the Ren wax onto the piece with a soft cloth, let glaze then buff off? Or do you somehow load the buffing wheel with Ren wax and buff like it was carnuba?
    Use a "sharp board" to clean the wheel. By a sharp board, I mean onethat's recently been ripped on the table saw or that has an edge that was run through the joiner. Hold the sharp 90 degree corner of one edge of the board against the wheel as it is turning at speed.

Hope this helps.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

OK, I'll chime in some more about buffing:

Good advice about cleaning wheels, but if you're merely changing from carnuba to Ren., just leave it and start loading w/ the Ren. The carnuba will soon wear off to nil. For a brief time you will have a combo wax.

Ren. food safe? Not sure. Mineral oil is food safe, as is Vaseline. Doesn't matter to me. Don't use wax on utility bowls. Same reason not to leave water on waxed furniture. I turned a nice large cherry bowl for ourselves. Used it for our fruit like bananas and apples, pears, etc. I left it w/ a carnuba polish. Not too long before I needed to return it to the lathe on the vacuum chuck to refinish. The wax had left the typical watermarks from just having fruit in it. Since the oil-only finish it has performed just fine.

We go from 400 or 600 grit sanding to Tripoli, then skip the diamond if it is a wood that would show the white too much. Unless it is a finish w/ resins such as lacquer or Danish oil, I buff w/ the compounds after sanding then finish w/ oil, then after curing buff w/ wax unless it's a utility piece. All of my non-utility pieces are "in-the-wood" finishes. We have found that the plastic look doesn't sell that well. And we do not like it.

Efficacy w/ bowl buffs is, I think, related to RPM versus diameter. We have several buffing machines (don't use the lathe for this) for our buffing. One Casewell @ 1100RPM, one Jet @ 1725, and one Grizzly @ 3450. The Griz is used for the smaller diameter bowl buffs (smaller diameter rotates slower at the contact surface than larger diameter on the same shaft). Caswell site has some good info about this and other stuff.

Happy buffing!

Mark

Well, thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone. I am going to print this out, along with the links that have been so graciously posted. I'll read it, reread it, and highlight all the info that seems the most pertinant to my situation. Then, it'll go in a drawer in the lathe. Technically, I'll be using a buffer 10 feet away, but I'll know where it is.

Another thing I think I'll do, which I believe at least one person suggested, is do a little practicing on scraps. That'll give me a feel for buffing before I go and screw up my first turning.

Oh, more opinions will always be welcome, and I can reprint...and likely will anyway...so feel free to add if you haven't already. I'm certainly not trying to close the thread.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the replies on the wheel. Regarding the application of the Ren wax... do you load the wheel with wax then buff your piece or do you wipe the wax on the piece then buff it off? I'm guessing the latter, but...