Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearvue Cyclones Closing!

Clearvue Cyclones Closing!

Visited their website just now and there is a notice posted indicating they are closed to new business as of May 1.

Now that really sucks

But I wish Ed well in retirement!
    The Plane Anarchist

Well, now that is sad news for us, but great news for Ed. Have fun in retirement, and thanks for the cyclone

not much info on what is getting sold as the business. no tooling info and such.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I sure hope someone does continue the business.

Buying his business (at $260,000) is probably cheaper than what this hobby is going to end up costing me

Bill, thanks for posting this. I go onto the CV forum every day, but not to the website. I just emailed Ed thanking him for all the help he has given me. I didn't follow the link to the sale of the business, but it does sound like an opportunity for the right person. But I tell you, they would have mighty big shoes to fill. Ed is one of the good guys, and they seem to be hard to find in the business world. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Bummer. I'm quite a few pennies away from the purchase, but I had planned on a Clearview. I hope this is a positive move for Ed and his family. A small family owned business has an uphill fight in this economy.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Wish I had the capitol, I was born in Greenvile, SC which is pretty close to pickens and would'nt mind moving back.

Best of luck in the retirement.
    I take big parts, cut them into little parts, and glue back into big parts.

The circle of life.

I got lucky. The Clearvue went on sale a couple of weeks ago ($100 off the regular price) and I decided to take the plunge. Mine arrived last Wednesday. Sad to see the small business shut down and I hope that Ed does well in retirement.

Too bad they didn't announce this ahead of time

They had a $100 off sale last month to clear out inventory. It would have been better to announce a final sale to give people a chance to get an order in. I got mine about 4 months ago and love it.

Ed is a great guy that I always admired how he took a concept and made a successful business out of it. I wish him well in his retirement.

The business is for sale, so it might come back with new owners in the future.

Steve

Now... where did I put that $260k??????

I wonder if his decision had anything to do with the law suit from Oneida over the mini.

I hate to see any small business like that go away, he had an excellent product.

I don't think it did Bill. He pulled his unit off the market, even though his was out first. He just didn't patent it. I'm guessing the revenue from it's sales would never recoup lawyers fees. Wise business decision. But those hassles may have had something to do with his deciding he wanted to enjoy his great granddaughters instead of working. He has promised me he will post some pictures of the furniture he will be building for them!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I think I ordered the last one he sold on Friday. When he emailed me later to give me the confirmation numbers and UPS tracking numbers, he indicated the he would be retiring and selling the business. As his son did not want to take over, he decided to sell the firm - had nothing to do with the Oneida cease and desist order - he realized early on that it would be far cheaper just to "eat" whatever stock he had left rather than to fight them in court (even though he can demonstrate "prior art" several years prior to their patent application date).

In terms of "patent" or "design trademark," it appears that Bill Pentz intends to retain rights to his design - there is now a note on his website that his son will once again be making and selling kits and cyclones/blowers from sheet metal (newly posted on 4/30) and that only his son has the right to do so:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...yclonekits.cfm

Brian
    Taxachusetts